Home » Audio » Speaker » Enclosure for Fostex 167E
Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20523] Tue, 23 November 2004 18:33 Go to next message
Pathmark is currently offline  Pathmark
Esquire
Hi all,

I'm new to DIY world, but would really like to build some cabinets for a pair of Fostex 167E. Any ideas.

Pathmark

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20524 is a reply to message #20523] Wed, 24 November 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Have you tried a TQWT? Martin King has really done his homework and is always helpful to DIY builders.

Rear horns are also favorites, and I encourage you to talk to him about one of those for your speaker as well. Some of the other guys here have a lot of experience in this regard too, such as roncla, Ed Schilling, TC and GM. So look for posts from them as well.

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20525 is a reply to message #20524] Wed, 24 November 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Another very good design for this driver is the one on Bob Brines' site. I see very positive feedback on several different forums from people who have built this design or purchased a pair directly from Bob. I believe he demonstrated this design at the recent DIY Atlanta event so you could probably search the Internet for a review from the attendees. His site is linked from mine.

Martin

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20526 is a reply to message #20525] Wed, 24 November 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's good info Martin, thanks!

Hey, did you ever get that HDTV issue worked out?

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20527 is a reply to message #20525] Wed, 24 November 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pathmark is currently offline  Pathmark
Esquire
Martin,

Never thought you would be the one to respond. I just wanted to say thanks for all the work you have done. I understand about 1% of it but I just keep reading it over and over. Thanks again for giving DIY'ers such a foundation.

Regards,
Mike

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20528 is a reply to message #20527] Wed, 24 November 2004 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Mike,

I make my way around the Internet and stop at a few forums when I have time. No more AA for me, one of the main players called me a troll when I kept asking for an explanation of some all encompassing statement he made and would not let go of the issue. This site and forum seems to be more polite and interesting so I stop by at least once a day.

Thanks for the positive feedback,

Martin

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20529 is a reply to message #20526] Wed, 24 November 2004 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Wayne,

Funny you should ask. My cable company called about an hour ago trying to sell me a digital phone to go with my digital cable and HD package. Only another $39 a month.

I explained to the lady that the day after the NY Giants play in the Superbowl that the box, remote, and fist full of cables were coming back and no more digital cable for me. I told her all of the problems I was having with the signal and that there was so little in HD it was not worth it. The cable company wanted to send a service tech to see if an adjustment was needed, I told them not to bother and I thought the problems extended back to the source. My wife would not let them in the house after the last pair of apes they sent. As far as I'm concerned, HDTV is a rip-off and I don't see any future for this type of service if things don't change quickly. I predict HDTV will go the way of quadrophonic and 8 tracks.

Martin

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20530 is a reply to message #20528] Thu, 25 November 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremy is currently offline  Jeremy
Chancellor
Hi Martin,

It's unfortunate that you are persecuted for your insight, vision and hard work. To me, hi-fi audio is in many ways a fanatical religion, based on myth and elitist hiarchy. A scientist such as yourself will always be at odds with the extremists and true believers when you challenge their way of thinking in an empirical way. The fact that these types of people are so threatened by your work could be seen as a testimonial to it's validity.

I for one have benefited from your extensive work, and it has allowed me to predicably design excellent speakers with a minimum experience level. It has been rewarding for me to have the opportunity to build, test and tune my own speaker systems. Thanks again. I look forward to seeing a horn design from you in the future.

Back to the original post, Martin's TQWP design for the 167E is a great design. I've had mine for over a year, and I still really like them. Very hard to beat for the money and time invested. Everyone that sees or hears them is impressed. (Except my GF-she thinks they are too big:) )

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20531 is a reply to message #20530] Fri, 26 November 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the support.

With respect to AA, I decided to let the sheep follow the purists and not bother getting involved any more. I hope it works out for them. I have my doubts about a lot of the advice being offered at AA.

I know the problems with the other half's approval rating of the ML TQWT design. I had originally designed them to go in our family room on either side of the fireplace. When I presented the wife with my latest masterpiece, they went down in flames. So they ended up in my listening room where normal household guests would never see them. I had to build another set of speaker for the family room. Actually, looking back now it worked out OK.

Martin

Re: Enclosure for Fostex 167E [message #20537 is a reply to message #20523] Tue, 30 November 2004 22:06 Go to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Hummm BLH for the 167. Well it has a high enough Qts for a MLTL and thats the route i would go instead of horn loading. Bob B or Martin have designs for that particular driver and i would go with them.
Now if it was the 166e with its much lower Qts then a BLH would be my choice.
ron

Previous Topic: Completed My Voigt Pipes Today
Next Topic: help me with my Christmas list
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 21:27:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers