Home » Audio » General » Best Buy and High End
Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2047 is a reply to message #2045] Wed, 27 July 2005 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Back in the early seventies sandwiched between the tube era of Fisher and Marantz and the birth of the high end in the late 70's guys were coming back from Vietnam with stereo's they bought in Japan and Korea. Those guys fueled the high end boom. As they got older they dropped the flashy big chrome equipment as a result of kids and home decor; but the real change came about because the sound got irritating. Maybe not on a conscious level but it was enough to cause people to write off stereo as a entertainment purchase.
A percentage of these guys went on to seek better stuff and as they approached their 40's they had the cash to indulge and so we saw the 20k$ stereo systems in homes. Look how the magazines increased in numbers and circulation for all hobbies; cars/boats on and on. A direct result of spare cash and free time. Those luxuries are dissolving as jobs and spare money gets scarcer. That is part of what fuels the DIY boom, just like in the 50's when the guys came home from WW2 and built their Eico and Heathkit stuff.
Thee will always be a small group of hardcore audiophiles but the people coming up behind us are not going to reproduce what happened in the late 70's-the 90's. They are of a different time concerned with PC's and TV's and music that is not even capable of sounding good on the best equipment. Notice how the DIY'ers play all of about 30 or 40 CD's? Mostly acoustic pop and lite jazz. We are a dying breed, the kids will not follow the high end audio as we know it. That is why the guys are trying Box store sales; out of desperation. Little guys like Brines will play to a small cadre' of dedicated listeners that like his stuff and that goes for all the small and esoteric builders. The big companies will morph into B&W and Polk etc. All having a similar sound designed to play to a certain type of listener brought up in the new age that they find through product testing and survey.

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2048 is a reply to message #2047] Wed, 27 July 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This is a good analysis-- in particular about how the audio
market has changed from listening to phonograph records
to ipods and whatnots.

This may sound strange but I got seriously interested in the
hobby after building a few kits over the years because I wanted
to improve my sound setup at the PC. That led me to look
for high efficiecy things and low wattage doo-dahs that would
tweak the ol' 'puter to listen to sound files.

Now I'm moving into Linux by way of Simply Mepis and a
couple other 'for grins' type operating system experiments.
And in there I have to learn about ALSA and the whole audio
environment of the open source world. I've read that
there's even a special distribution called DeMudi for
Debian Music Distribution that is specifically for the
audio engineering and enthusiasts migrating to the
open source world.

I never have listened to anything in a Best Buy. Where are
they going to put the auto sound room playing the 15
inchers that can be heard throughout the store and _felt_
close by the listening area?

(BTW, manual, I did send that review of Backbeat to your
whatchacallit address on here... supreme commander I think)

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2049 is a reply to message #2045] Wed, 27 July 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't mind having retailers in the mid-fi/hi-fi markets, nor do I applaud them. I tend to know what I want before I purchase, so I'm not much for shopping. Audio retailers would be good for the fact they have showrooms though. At least then you have a chance to audition, even if not maybe in the very best conditions.

My biggest problem with both the audio and the automotive industries is the BS factor. There are so many involved in these fields that are completely and totally full of shit. I try to stay away from the BS'ers when I find them, because I can get irritated if I don't tune them out. So I'm generally happier when I stay out of retail showrooms.

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2050 is a reply to message #2048] Thu, 28 July 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Lon; I didn't recieve it and truthfully I am not sure about the supreme commander thing. Is that maybe why some of my e-mails don't arrive? Let me mail you back.
I find the PC music thing of great interest but I fear there are constant changes to the programs that I can't keep up with. I used to copy streaming radio but it is time consuming. I am like a dinosaur; still using Ripcast.
We can debate the progression of the High End but I for one believe it's a dead issue along with DIY once all of us old farts kick the bucket. I don't know of any group of twenty yr olds doing this. Box stores are not going to succeed at high end merchandising as you point out concerning the 15" woofs.

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2051 is a reply to message #2048] Thu, 28 July 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
How's Linux treating you?

I have been kicking around the idea of switching for quite some time as I have been so happy with some of the other open source programs I use such as Firefox, Open Office, etc...

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2052 is a reply to message #2046] Thu, 28 July 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'm with you. I agree that brick and mortar retailers stuck in the middle are going to be a thing of the past, they will have to focus on home theater or very high priced 2 channel items. The market has already changed so much the past 4 years, and it's jsut the beginning.

There will always be a market for manufacturers who provide an exceptional product at an attractive price, but the vast majority of our sales will be direct. Shows like the GPAF and RMAF will become even more important in years to come for us to get the word out about our wares.

Regards,

Lee

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2053 is a reply to message #2050] Thu, 28 July 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
DIY and customizing PC's is huge right now. The hard part is getting those guys to come play with audio with us old farts!

Regards,

Lee

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2054 is a reply to message #2049] Thu, 28 July 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
BS in our industry? Since when?

Regards,

Lee

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2055 is a reply to message #2051] Thu, 28 July 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hello and glad you joined us here,

Linux isn't at the point and click stage even as they might
tell you or have you believe.

It's like I picked up where I left off with Unix in 1996.
More code than I could deal with then and there's still a lot
of it. I just don't want to be on the Microsoft boat anymore.

It's a big help to have broadband since Linux is being updated
all the time.
I made the switch to bb when the price dropped close to where dialup
is for me.

I believe the true advantages are still in the future for Linux. For that future I've started to learn it now.

Re: Best Buy and High End [message #2056 is a reply to message #2050] Thu, 28 July 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ok,

Just mail me then:

lon@athenet.net

What I get from the mail back system here is the only address
I have for you. If you are not webmaster or whatever,
then I don't have good address to send you things.

Far as the thread goes I don't have much if any contact with
high end audiophines and supply shops. The local one that's left here
is pretty much full of the snooty types I'm used to encountering in
them.

Far as DIY goes for younger people, you prob'ly right. But I
think that's a form versus content thing. What's more important:
the form or the content? Content comes from cable tv which can be
broadcast in stereo, free air and satellite radio and audio streams
bring radio. and then there's 'home theatre.' Home theatre with
vhs and dvd, cds etc provide for time shifting and on-demand viewing.
But it has also meant the balkanization of what was once a theatrical
experience. But it's kids who fill up the multiplexes so who's to
say what age group is out of sync?

lon

Previous Topic: Chicago Audiofest
Next Topic: where are you peole from?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 17:24:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio