Home » Audio » Speaker » "Ambience" Supertweeter
"Ambience" Supertweeter [message #20293] Wed, 18 August 2004 17:30 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I am basically a high end audio guy that strayed into tubes, SET amps, single drivers, etc a few years ago. I still miss the "air" you hear with a high quality amp driving a true high end speaker with a well designed crossover and expensive drivers, a sound which is sadly missing in most single driver speakers driven by set amps. I had a pair of Radio Shack horn loaded dome tweeters, so I installed them with reversed phase in the back of my Fostex Voigt pipes. The objective was to add that high frequency information that's lacking with the Fostex drivers. The speakers sound very nice with the addition, and I plan to install a switch so I can silence them whenever I want. Picture at

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132721/5/7477861

Has anyone else done this with single driver speakers? What were your impressions?

Re: "Ambience" Supertweeter [message #20294 is a reply to message #20293] Thu, 19 August 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I completely agree. I added a supertweeter to my trusonic system & it made a very large difference. It's not a tweak, it's a necessary ingredient for some drivers, like the trusonic. IF you go further down this forum, you will see mor detail on my set up.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: "Ambience" Supertweeter [message #20295 is a reply to message #20293] Thu, 19 August 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron
Godzilla did it about a year ago with pipes. I tried it with Fostex alnico tweeter and have built a few systems with it. Works gleat. Snell trick.

TC

Re: "Ambience" Supertweeter [message #20331 is a reply to message #20293] Mon, 30 August 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lee is currently offline  Lee
Esquire
Very good, beautiful pictures. I used that Radio Shack tweeter when I was in the USA and loved it. Powerful, crisp and bright. I had a speaker very much like yours with Fostex main driver in large horn and this super tweeter. That was a very good sounding speaker.

The Radio Shack super tweeter horn handles 40 watts if I remember, but if you do not use their built-in LC crossover you can damage it with very low power. Be careful with a 1.5uF cap because it can probably only handle less than 10 watts. I could use it with a 45 amp no problem, but detroyed two pairs of them with my 845.

Re: "Ambience" Supertweeter [message #20332 is a reply to message #20331] Mon, 30 August 2004 03:20 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the warning about using a 1st order crossover with these tweeters. I pulled the stock crossover because it uses very cheap parts (an miniature electrolytic cap and a pencil-thin iron core inductor) and because I want to minimize the interaction between the full range front driver and the ambience supertweeter, which requires a higher crossover frequency. I may try a 2nd order configuration crossed at 10K and see how it sounds. This would make them bullet proof bullets (no pun intended).

Previous Topic: Front horns
Next Topic: JBL Project pt2: We now have stereo!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 23:32:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio