Home » Audio » Speaker » Any ideas for a cabinet design?
Any ideas for a cabinet design? [message #20174] Sun, 25 July 2004 01:51 Go to next message
surlyfatrat is currently offline  surlyfatrat
Esquire
I'm new to this forum so thanx for checking out this post.
I've got a pair of peavey scorpion 10's and a set of tweeters out of a set of jbl pro home speakers. If anyone has any thoughts on the best design for a cabinet or what frequencies i should use for crossovers for this setup i would really appreciate it. THanx.

Re: Any ideas for a cabinet design? [message #20175 is a reply to message #20174] Sun, 25 July 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Please post the model number of the JBL tweeters and the T/S specs of the Scorpion 10's. I'll betcha you'll get some good responses. You can probably build a pretty good little two-way system with those, provided the two drivers reach one another in frequency response.

Re: Any ideas for a cabinet design? [message #20176 is a reply to message #20174] Sun, 25 July 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
on the back of the jbl tweets it says:
58p60dh-01hd
c5 Wave
made in japan
562tnv

as for the peavey scorpions, this is all the info i have found. its from peavey's website:

Re: Any ideas for a cabinet design? [message #20177 is a reply to message #20174] Sun, 25 July 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
here is a link also for someone selling these tweets on e-bay so you can see them for yourself.

Re: Any ideas for a cabinet design? [message #20178 is a reply to message #20176] Sun, 25 July 2004 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
These will work well in a 0.5ft3 to 5.0ft3 cabinet port tuned to 45Hz. They're probably even better suited for a sealed box larger than 1.0ft3. As for the tweeter, you'll probably want to horn load it, and you'll want to obtain frequency response graphs of both the midwoofer and tweeter to decide on a crossover point and overall suitability.

Re: Any ideas for a cabinet design? [message #20179 is a reply to message #20178] Sun, 25 July 2004 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
first off thanx for the help. secondly, i'm new at this so could you please explain what you mean by "horn load it". I also have an older set of foster soft dome tweeters. would they be a better choice. I don't have a model # for them as they are in the temporary cabinet i am using along with the peavey drivers and i am reluctant to remove them. Thanx again.

Re: Any ideas for a cabinet design? [message #20180 is a reply to message #20179] Sun, 25 July 2004 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
To horn load the tweeter means you will mount it on a horn. If it isn't designed for that purpose, it probably won't be sensitive enough to match your midwoofer at 99dB/W/M.

Re: Any ideas for a cabinet design? [message #20184 is a reply to message #20176] Mon, 26 July 2004 08:23 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi SFR,
For the woofer (peavey scorpion 10), you can build a box: 36" high X 14" wide X 18" deep. Use 3/4" baltic birch or MDF to build the box (or get a carpenter to build it). In the box, make a hole for the driver at ear level, and another hole (slightly away & down from the driver) of diameter: 4.3". This second hole can be 4 " or more from the ground.
For the tweeter, you can use either a horn configuration, if you know how to calculate and build one, or alternately, just use a dome tweeter. Crossover freq will depend on the woofer curves. Make sure the efficiencies match (in other words look for a tweeter with eff close to 99 db). PArts express may have them. (www.parts-express.com)
hope this helps. tell us what you did and how it turned out!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: pairing speakersw to tube amps
Next Topic: choices, choices
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 16:15:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers