Home » Audio » Speaker » Sprinkling posts...
Sprinkling posts... [message #20156] Thu, 15 July 2004 13:49 Go to next message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
Some of you may have read some version of this post on other forums so please disregard BUT
for those who did not:
I recently experienced a stunning increase in sound quality from my fully broken in Fostex FE168EZ, due to very high humidity (between 70 and 80%). Did anyone experience same thing? How do you explain?
I would love to keep this "sound" forever if I could find a way. Of course, I could sell the house and get myself a couple pairs of drivers and experience with various doping agents to see the effect...

Re: Sprinkling posts... [message #20157 is a reply to message #20156] Thu, 15 July 2004 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Robert,
Maybe the driver cones absorbed some moisture and became "doped" in some way. I know a lot of builders dope them anyway.
Just a hypothesis.
-akhilesh

Re: Sprinkling posts... [message #20158 is a reply to message #20156] Fri, 16 July 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremy is currently offline  Jeremy
Chancellor
Interesting. Could you describe the change in sound quality? Was it really that dramatic? The humidity where I live varies dramaticly with the time of year, and I wonder if my paper cone FR speakers are affected in the same way.

One possibility is that moist air is less dense than dry air. I wonder if that could make an audible difference?

Re: Sprinkling posts... [message #20159 is a reply to message #20158] Fri, 16 July 2004 13:57 Go to previous message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
Well, the sound is more liquid, less dry (no pun intended!!), less edgy, less grainy. The change in sound is very noticeable and I really wonder if humidity can alter sound that way, but since I did not do any change in either configuration or placement, it must be related to humidity (it is really hot and humid in Montreal these days and in-house humidity is in between 70 and 80%).

I notice the change in sound after the second really humid day, so perhaps the cone paper absorbed some moisture, enough to change the weight and/or stiffness of the cone.

Now, the overall response is not different, HF and LF extensions are the same, but the difference is in the texture of sound and affects frequencies from around 4kHz to 7kHz, wich is good because that's precisely where the FE168EZ has some problems in getting the right balance between definition and smoothness. Now it seems I get both smooth sound without losing definition.

I'm glad because humidity is a real cheap tweak and is very reversible (untill mold gets into the cone...).

Previous Topic: Hey Bill when does?
Next Topic: Have y'all seen this one?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 23:35:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout