Home » Audio » Speaker » Moth Audio
Moth Audio [message #20139] Fri, 09 July 2004 17:05 Go to next message
Frank Echols is currently offline  Frank Echols
Esquire
What are inside of Moth Audio speakers? How do they compare?

Re: Moth Audio [message #20140 is a reply to message #20139] Fri, 09 July 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Frank,
I think they have a chinese replica of a lowther. Supposed to sound decent. Never heard one though. If you want to stick to fostex, I have heard a fostex fe206E at a friend's, in 1.3 cubic feet BR boxes (Sold by classic audio). they were decent for simple instrument arrangements, jazz, etc. Alternately, you could buy a fostex and do one of the pans for them on the web, including their website. I believe madisound sell a kit that includes the drivers and precut wood.
Many any options. However, the moth audio cicada may sound good, i have just never heard one.
-akhilesh

Re: Moth Audio [message #20141 is a reply to message #20140] Sat, 10 July 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
The 206e is an outstanding performer for the price.But BHL is a requirement for this low Qts driver. A much more simple and good performer is Martins MLTL but will require a correction curve circuit and added series resistance.

http://ihost.it-mate.co.uk/users/roncla/files/composit.jpg

ron

Re: Moth Audio [message #20142 is a reply to message #20141] Sat, 10 July 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Someday i will learn to proof read. BLH= back loaded horn.Dont know what a BHL is.
ron

I thought it was Back Horn Loaded [message #20143 is a reply to message #20142] Sat, 10 July 2004 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: I thought it was Back Horn Loaded [message #20144 is a reply to message #20143] Sun, 11 July 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's exactly what I thought too.

But I guess it could have been Big-ol' Heavy Loudspeaker.

Re: Moth Audio [message #20145 is a reply to message #20141] Sun, 11 July 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree roncla. I've never heard it in a BLH, but it seems like it would sound pretty darn good in one. Even in a BR, it sounds OK. Martin's MLTL with circuit should sound pretty good too, just i have never heard one that was fully developed.
-akhilesh

Re: Moth Audio [message #20154 is a reply to message #20139] Thu, 15 July 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
From the outside, they look like Lowthers. But the other side is not as good looking: magnet is tiny and they certainly are not meant for BLH, I do not have the Qts values, but looking at the way they are built, must be pretty high (as compare to a Lowther)

Re: Moth Audio [message #20160 is a reply to message #20154] Fri, 16 July 2004 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I Robert,
YOu wrote:
magnet is tiny and they certainly are not meant for BLH
----
I was wondering if you could expand on this a bit. DO we need a large magnet for a BLH?
thanx!
-akhilesh

Re: Moth Audio [message #20161 is a reply to message #20160] Fri, 16 July 2004 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
For proper BLH operation, you will choose a very low Qts driver (lower than .3). Qts represent the ability of a motor structure to control the moving mass, especialy at resonance frequecy. The higher the number, the lesser the control.
High Qts drivers (sometimes as high as 1) are very at ease on open baffle. Medium Qts driver (from .3 to .6) can be use in a variety of designs (closed, reflex, etc.), while very low Qts won't have enough bass output at resonance to be effective in either closed or reflex enclosure or open baffle.
There is no clear cut line between design applications and I do not want to imply that one is better than the other. Personally, I like very low Qts in BLH because of the great speed and impact of the design.
A very strong motor is generally characterised as a driver with a very big magnet, therefore, it is easy to associate big magnets to low Qts (although it's not always so, because the weight of the moving mass has to be taken in account - it's a weight power ratio).
Moth driver is made by Tai-sonic (see link), and the size of it's motor indicate a highish Qts value (as compared with Lowther or Fostex). Even more so, Moth use the driver in what look like a reflex design.

Previous Topic: Have y'all seen this one?
Next Topic: OTOH - The case for horns...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 19:32:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio