Home » Audio » Speaker » The "magic" of single drivers: some thoughts
The "magic" of single drivers: some thoughts [message #20112] Fri, 18 June 2004 16:57 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Everyone,
As some of you may know... my sonic inclination has been to go 2 way, or even 3 way, and let one driver do most of the work. In my opinion, this was sufficienlty "single driver" but gave better frequency extension.
Today, i just heard an old pair of single driver sealed boxes i have, with an old pair of jensens in them. This is a standard single driver setup, with no crossovers or any passive neworlk of any kind, just one driver in a sealed box.

The imaging and coherence blew me away. We DO lose something with multiple drivers...even at extreme frequencies. While i still like my multiple driver speakers for everyday listening... a good single driver (that gives good bass and highs) is another route to consider...especially if simplicity & sonic purity are your goals.

The fostex fe206E s a good driver, as i believe (though i have never heard) s ed schillings hornshoppe speaker.

Anyways, just wanted to let all of us know...especially people getting into this that there IS a tradeoff.
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2nd order...what the doctor ordered?
Next Topic: Akhilesh's Tru-Sonic System
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 01 22:46:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout