Home » Audio » Speaker » fullrange cones and whizzers, some observations
Re: One more thing... [message #20092 is a reply to message #20090] Fri, 11 June 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)

>>From the first entry>>The 8" driver has a similar curve at the throat, but then flattens out some (but not completely) before reaching the surround, and no concentric rings. This is a more rigid cone.Now I need to figure out why.

I'll take a stab at it even though I may be wrong, I think it has to do with the thickness of the cone material. I have a pair of EV's these were the EVM-15B's and before they were reconed they were EVM-15L's. On the 15L's it seemed like it had a lighter cone with the curve-linear shape as EV called it, and it had concentric rings to extend the mid frequencys up. But when I got them back with the 15B cones, the cones were more straight sided and seemed heavyer from thicker cone material, and the mids weren't as pronounced as they were with 15L's. And since your 8's are a smaller diameter they may not of needed the concentric rings on them because the cone would be more rigid. But when they made the 12's they may of used the same material thickness, but it needed the concentric to help boost up the mids a little because of the larger cone area.

This is just a guess so don't take my word for it maybe somebody that does recones around here will chime in and explain it better.

Bill W.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Array types
Next Topic: Eminence LA6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 17:02:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations