Home » Audio » Speaker » Building YOUR single driver speaker:
Re: question [message #19863 is a reply to message #19856] Sun, 21 March 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Over in the full ranger forum it was discovered that the seller of the BR box was using extensive EQ to bring the LF response to a given point. The 206e will not perform correctly in either a BR or MLTL without use of series resistance to upp the Qes (which upps the Qts) of this driver.The only thing you will lose is some sensitivity.
ron

thanks for the update [message #19865 is a reply to message #19863] Mon, 22 March 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Well, now I see how he did it. I thought I saw on the website that the speakers had no crossover, but I couldn't understand how the speakers would sound good without it. Anyway, a crossover done right isn't bad thing.

Re: question [message #19866 is a reply to message #19863] Mon, 22 March 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hmmm....that seems odd.
I haven;t looked inside any of these boxes sold by them.
However, their site says the following:
"Best of all, the music doesn't pass through any inductors (coils), resistors, or capacitors. A crossover is a necessary evil in all other speaker systems. With Lowthers, there is no crossover to deal with." in the technical discussion page.
This indicates that they are NOT using any EQ.
Guess the best thing is to open the box & check!
-akhilesh

Re: question [message #19867 is a reply to message #19866] Mon, 22 March 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The seller wasent using a crossover , he was using one of those EQ devices in his jukebox type CD player. A reviewer (i believer it was from TNT audio) went to hear the speakers and during a change in CDs the EQ graph suddenly came up on the LCD readout.It was set to the ROCK setting.
All i am stating is that without some sort of series resistance to raise the QTS a lower QTS driver is not designed or really ment for a BR.It will burn your ears off with the mids and highs.Its either that or a notch filter or both. Again all i am stating is that for some sort of a near flat response a low QTS driver will require either a crossover(from a sub)or series resistance and probably a notch filter (for the rising response from the FR curve)or a properly tuned rear loaded horn.
ron

Re: question [message #19868 is a reply to message #19867] Mon, 22 March 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree Roncla. Didn't mean to imply you were wrong... just wondered is all. -akhilesh

Re: question [message #19870 is a reply to message #19868] Mon, 22 March 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Never hurts to imply i am wrong, as i have been wrong so many times in my life.I have nothing against the seller of the Lowther/Fostex BR cabs, its just i hate to see ppl purchase a cab that cost as much as they do under the impression that when they get it home it will sound the same as they heard it in a demo.Please read the reviews of this product,i believe it was TNT audio.
I will say this in the sellers behalf, he does have some good prices on his bare drivers.
ron

Re: question [message #19873 is a reply to message #19870] Tue, 23 March 2004 11:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Roncla,
I agree with you. A link to the review you are referring to was already posted below in this forum....several posts below, and some other people have given comments on the review.
thanx
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Another approach to PVC design
Next Topic: Martin Kings's cabs w/ FE206E's done
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 10:21:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers