Home » Audio » Speaker » Building YOUR single driver speaker:
Re: Building YOUR single driver speaker: [message #19848 is a reply to message #19846] Wed, 17 March 2004 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Hi akhilesh,

I like you summary and agree almost entirely. I think that a full range driver project is an excellent first project due to the lack of crossover and multiple drivers. I found when I was starting out that building a box and getting the tuning right was not so hard but the crossover ruined several of my early projects. Using a full range driver makes the project so much easier and the chance of a great success is significantly better. Comparing the cost of multiple drivers and a crossover to a full range driver is also appealing.

What I would like to point out is the lower model Lowther drivers. If you are going to buy an eight inch Fostex driver from Madisound, then you will spend between $150 and probably $350 a pair depending on which model is selected. If you look at the prices of the Lowther PM6C (Qts = 0.33) and DX2 (Qts = 0.30) they are a little higher but in my opinion the performance increase is worth the cost. I have both drivers and when comparing them to my Fostex FE-208 Sigma's they are clearly better. If you can stretch a little bit more a pair of PM2C drivers are amazing in a ported design. I had a loaner pair to audition and expect delivery of my own pair in the next week. Yes they cost more but if you can spend a little bit more then I don't think that you will be disappointed. I don't think that going for the top of the line PM2A or DX4 is required.

Martin

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message