Home » Audio » Speaker » Re: Who are you calling a Nut :-)
Martin - You Da Man! [message #19816 is a reply to message #19810] Wed, 25 February 2004 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil Wilson is currently offline  Phil Wilson
Chancellor
I have no idea what it all means, but I'll have Akhilesh and Wayne explain it to me. You have to read pretty slow to me...

Re: Martin - You Da Man! [message #19818 is a reply to message #19816] Thu, 26 February 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Hi Phil,

No, I am definitely not "da man". I am just some guy who, after the kids go to bed, refuses to watch that junk my wife watches on TV. So I spend an hour or two, several nights a week, listening to classic jazz and/or dabbling in speaker design and theory. So many interesting things to work on and think about, but only an hour or two a couple nights a week. But thanks for the compliment. I have a lot more I am working on and Lowthers with horns are next.

Martin

Consider Vintage drivers, Martin! [message #19821 is a reply to message #19818] Thu, 26 February 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Martin,
Some people feel that vintage drivers are smoother and offer more fidelity to tone. I love mine, but i have never heard Lowthers. You have heard lowthers & Fostex. What would be cool (& low cost) would be to consider vintage drivers in a simple BR or TL box for a project, and then share with us your thoughts. This would offer great info to people when they decide on what driver to go for in their projects.
The stephens 80FR driver is thought by many vintage afficinados to be in the top 2-3. Of course, you could use goodmans too, or older tannoys.

thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Consider Vintage drivers, Martin! [message #19822 is a reply to message #19821] Thu, 26 February 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Hi akhilesh,

Last summer I ventured into the world of vintage drivers. I could not resist and bought a pair of University 15" triaxial speakers with brilliance controls. They are really amazing pieces of engineering and I am having a lot of fun with them, quality of manufacture was very good and these things are impressive to look at and listen to on the bench.

But in the end, I want to put designs on my website that people can build easily. This means that they need to have an easy available source for drivers and other parts. I did not see this possibility with vintage drivers.

So I have experimented and probably will pick up a few more vintage drivers for my own entertainment, but I think for the future my main thrust will be with Lowther drivers.

Martin

Re: Martin - You Are Definitely Da Man! [message #19824 is a reply to message #19818] Thu, 26 February 2004 20:03 Go to previous message
Phil Wilson is currently offline  Phil Wilson
Chancellor
I will keep an eye out for your Lowther experiments. I have listened to them and, while I felt they were unnaturally detailed, I also thought they were very interesting - the detail is amazing. Your filter ideas I think probably give you the best of both worlds (i.e. keep as much of the detail as you can want, while adding as much of the mids and lows you feel you need to keep it natural). I am interested in your projects.

Previous Topic: JBL sub driver
Next Topic: Hey, Bill M.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 06:21:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout