Home » Audio » Speaker » Fostex 206 E drivers
Re: Fostex 206 E drivers: not criticizing anyone;s philosophy [message #19791 is a reply to message #19767] Sat, 21 February 2004 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Phil Wilson is currently offline  Phil Wilson
Chancellor
Interesting posts - the filter sounds like an interesting tweak. Generally I agree with Akhilesh - the route I took was to get a reasonably priced amp that produces a good pure couple of watts along with a very sensitive speaker to compensate for the lack of power in the amp. I spoke to Steve Deckert about speaker matching with his amp before I got the Zen and at that time (about a year ago) he told me the 206E was the best match he'd heard (he may have backed off that since then, I'm not sure); he also likes the Lowthers. On a related note, If memory serves, I think Steve built some kind of filter for Lowthers (I think he calls it the Lowther Gizmo) but more to reduce the mid-high "bloom" some complain of on the Lowthers. I don't think Martin is all alone out there on his branch, and to me the filter tweak is more "zen-like" than adding drivers. If there was a filter to "supplement" the bass on the Fostex I would definitely try it out.

By the way, do you have to have a filter (or a crossover) if you use a driver that only produces a certain range of frequency? For example, it seems like if you use a super-tweeter that only goes down to 10K-15K it, or a sub that only gets up to 60Hz-80Hz, could you play all three drivers "full range" without a crossover? Would this require a separate amp for each driver? Would that still introduce phase inconsistency problems due to the drivers not firing at the same time (I guess it would)? I don't know much about this stuff, so if I am being an idiot just ignore me. Phil.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Who are you calling a Nut :-)
Next Topic: Huge Backloaded horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 02 13:17:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout