Home » Audio » Speaker » Fostex 206 E drivers
Re: Fostex 206 E drivers: frequency extension is not everything [message #19748 is a reply to message #19746] Mon, 16 February 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Jim,
Don't break down yet! Each driver has its own pluses and minuses (cost being one of them). Frequency response is ONLY ONE parameter, and there are so many others (like fidelity to tone) that are subjective.

Martin is a great resource, and far more knowledgeable about these things than me. My 2 cents on what he suggested is as follows:
increasing the port length to 6 inches will flatten the response below 250 HZ, but will attenuate it dramatically. The filter will basically then attentuate the response for the HZ over that. The result:
a flatter response, but also MUCH reduced sensitivity. IF you are running tube amps, with low watts, this may not be a good idea. If you are using solid state, and power is not an issue, then you can try it. However, to me, sensitivity means more than just low watts, it means greater dynamics and more presence as well.

Also, I personally feel that adding electronics to the speaker is somewhat at odds with why we are sticking to a single driver design in the first place....i mean why not just go with a multi driver setup?

Why don;t you wait till we heaar it, and then decide? Again, i think too many of us get caught up in the frequency extension game, and miss out on why we have single driver setups to begin with.
I left you a message, with my number. Call me when you can.
thanx
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Who are you calling a Nut :-)
Next Topic: Huge Backloaded horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 02 13:21:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout