Home » Audio » Speaker » You can boil'm, fry'm, broil'm, gumbo'm, saute'm........
You can boil'm, fry'm, broil'm, gumbo'm, saute'm........ [message #19710] Tue, 20 January 2004 20:50 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just got 24 more of these little horrors. 87 cents! The ones I put in the pine box? When I put a second one opposite the first as dipoles (bi-poles?)they started sounding pretty good. Jeff FEith put 8 in a box for surrounds. I'm thinking 12 in a line array, or maybe just 12 pair of dipoles (bi-poles?)
How about you?
There's Newburg, Thermidor, steamed, creamed,...........

Re: You can boil'm, fry'm, broil'm, gumbo'm, saute'm........ [message #19711 is a reply to message #19710] Thu, 22 January 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The price is right!

You gonna build an array with 'em? A Bessel Array or a Line Array?

I think I'd probably check out the Bessel Array - It's easy to do and should work pretty well. If you do, please post about it on the Array Speakers forum. I'd be interested to see pics and hear your impressions.

Re: You can boil'm, fry'm, broil'm, gumbo'm, saute'm........ [message #19712 is a reply to message #19711] Thu, 22 January 2004 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My idea was to build 6 pairs of dipoles. But I looked at arrays and read that Bessel are far, far, far field things. Don't know what a Bessell is and wiring up 12 8 ohm drivers to acheive 8 ohms total will require live naked resistors!
I think I'm going to make them test beds for different doping recipes, no, not Lasix but shellac, violin varnish, Dammar, etc.
Because, belive it or not, the lowly Fostex 103E's are sounding fabulous now and getting better. And I haven;t even built the second pair of boxes with the tapers.
Then of course, that's all relative because the big system is still on top and the more I think about it, the Theatre 4's are still a benchmark for me.

Re: You can boil'm, fry'm, broil'm, gumbo'm, saute'm........ [message #19713 is a reply to message #19712] Thu, 22 January 2004 18:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those Fostex drivers are really nice, aren't they? It's a different sort of thing than the larger systems, and they're both good in different conditions. Some of the full-rangers lack too much on the bottom end and the top end for my tastes, but I like the Fostex full-rangers that I've heard.

Previous Topic: A horn loaded bass 2 way for me?
Next Topic: Does sensitivity MEAN coloration?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 03:54:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio