Home » Audio » Speaker » Epstein wants to know...........
Epstein wants to know........... [message #19634] Thu, 18 December 2003 18:22 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
..........why this built-by-the-numbers FE103E horn doesn't have the "magic"?

I dig putting my ear down by the opening and hear nothing but low mids. The octave below "A" above middle "C" is super. But above thsat the sound is too detailed, forward and grainy. And, just as I don't hear crossover distortion on my 2 ways, I don't hear any benefit from no crossover.
And, no, the towel you see, and later, the poly fill you don't see, didn't help. I did glue a piece of leather to the piece of wood directly behind the driver. Rawhide side out.
"Git'm up, move'm out, git'm up, move'm out, RAWHIDE!"
Is there better treble in the other 4", the $80 FE108EZ? Promise?

Re: Epstein wants to know........... [message #19635 is a reply to message #19634] Thu, 18 December 2003 18:56 Go to previous message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Bill, There is no comparison between the two drivers. But, if those drivers do not have a couple hundred hours on them I would advise you do nothing. The 108's will freak you out. In a bad way, when they are new, give them 200 hours and things START to get good. I have been playing with varients of the 103 for 10 years. I really like the 107E also. The 108E is king now, but it takes a LONG time, many give up too soon. Hope this helps.
Ed

Previous Topic: Hi guys.......cheap, good, FR'er
Next Topic: Why get into Single Driver/High Eff/Horns?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 21:40:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio