Home » Audio » Speaker » cd horns: conic, os, quadratic...........
Re: Constant directivity tweeter horns and waveguides [message #19480 is a reply to message #19479] Thu, 03 April 2008 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right, the H290 transitions smoothly from the throat expanding to the mouth without a diffraction slot. I like this horn, but it does beam in the top octave. No way around it in a horn like this without a diffraction slot.

Remember that we're only talking about the top octave here. Below 10kHz, the horn sets the radiation pattern. But above that, the exit features of a 1" compression driver set the pattern. That's why the pattern narrows, and why on-axis SPL increases. It does so at the expense of off-axis energy, which falls off.

Earlier I said, "this abrupt beaming boosts on-axis sound in the top octave", which is true for all horns and waveguides that don't have a diffraction slot. It's usually so high in frequency that nobody really notices, it just gives a bit more "air." But it is definitely a measureable increase above 10kHz on-axis, and you can also see the absense off-axis. For that reason, most speakers having constant directivity without a diffraction slot in the tweeter sound better to me 10-20° off-axis than they do straight on.

If you're familiar with my crossover, there is an optional component C1a. A small value capacitor there can be used to decrease output in the top octave. Capacitor C1 bypasses the padding to increase HF output, but if you're using a compression driver/horn combo that becomes too strident in the top octave, you can install C1a.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Realistic Mach crossovers
Next Topic: Can I remove harmonic distortion with crossover?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 10 03:12:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio