Home » Audio » Speaker » idea of a horn system with upfiring + frontfiring horn, any comments ?
idea of a horn system with upfiring + frontfiring horn, any comments ? [message #19206] Mon, 16 April 2007 06:22 Go to next message
angeloitacare is currently offline  angeloitacare
Esquire
hi all

here some drawings of my high-end hornspeakers. Any comments ore sugestions ?

Angelo

Re: idea of a horn system with upfiring + frontfiring horn, any comments ? [message #19209 is a reply to message #19206] Tue, 17 April 2007 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very attractive!

Re: idea of a horn system with upfiring + frontfiring horn, any comments ? [message #19210 is a reply to message #19209] Wed, 18 April 2007 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
hi Wayne

thanks for your comment. have a look at my idea of a cost-no-subject fully hornloaded speaker:

rds Angelo

Your ultimate loudspeaker idea - a suggestion [message #19211 is a reply to message #19210] Wed, 18 April 2007 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Very impressive looking cost-no-object system.

Might I offer one suggestion:

The basshorn is way too small to give true horn loading down to anything approaching 25 Hz. It will be in effect a direct radiator at that frequency, and will no doubt have to be equalized. At very low frequencies, the bass horn itself is just decoration.

What if you got rid of the basshorn cabinet altogether, and installed a side- or rear-firing direct radiator subwoofer in the space underneath that big round horn? In my opinion this would make a more visually elegant system, probably without little or no performance compromise.

You could actually improve in-room low frequency performance by redesigning the base (pedestal) for the two smaller horns to incorporate a second subwoofer, so that you'd have two physically separated low frequency sources per channel. I think there's definite merit in having multiple low frequency sources in a room, and so do several researchers. See Todd Welti's AES papers, "How many subwoofers are enough" and "In-room low frequency optimization", for instance.

That's how I would do it.

Very best of luck in bringing your vision to life!

Duke

correction [message #19212 is a reply to message #19211] Wed, 18 April 2007 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The phrase "probably without little or no performance compromise" should have been:

"probably with little or no performance compromise".

Oops. And English is supposedly my native language.

Duke

Re: Your ultimate loudspeaker idea - a suggestion [message #19213 is a reply to message #19211] Wed, 18 April 2007 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thanks, Duke, good idea. See how it looks now.

rds Angelo

Re: correction [message #19215 is a reply to message #19212] Thu, 19 April 2007 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
English is my native language too, but TYPING isn't! (Smirk.)

Re: Your ultimate loudspeaker idea - a suggestion [message #19216 is a reply to message #19213] Thu, 19 April 2007 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Very nice! I think that's an extremely attractive look, especially for a system so large. I'd love to see and hear 'em in person one day.

Duke

Re: Your ultimate loudspeaker idea - a suggestion [message #19217 is a reply to message #19216] Thu, 19 April 2007 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thanks, duke

i uploaded many hornspeaker pictures , have a look and enjoy :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875238@N05/

regards Angelo

Absolutely beautiful hornpics - thanks for the link! [message #19218 is a reply to message #19217] Fri, 20 April 2007 00:57 Go to previous message
Grand Master
That's the best collection of exotic and artistic hornspeakers I've ever seen.

I sure did enjoy - thanks for sharing!

Duke

Previous Topic: DCA 5.5M drivers in PAWO horn: Bring to LSAF?
Next Topic: high quality speakers for your computer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 01:44:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout