Home » Audio » Speaker » Rounded Bends vs. Flat Reflectors in Folded Horns
Re: The Movement of Waves and Particles [message #19147 is a reply to message #19145] Mon, 05 March 2007 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
Thanks, guys! I've visited the Volvotreter site a few times although I drive a Chevytreter myself....

Before I dive into the Monolith article, I should mention that the W-horn in mind is intended for midbass applications only, from 100Hz up to 800Hz/1kHz. The mid/high section will be mounted on the front center panel dividing the 2 horn mouth sections. In essence, I'm trying to redesign the ancient MacPherson M1S/M1X stacking full-range cab. I have an old product sheet, however it doesn't reveal any inner details about the driver mount or the horn folding. The M1X isn't even in their archives anymore.

Re: The Movement of Waves and Particles [message #19148 is a reply to message #19146] Wed, 07 March 2007 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
Here is a design I did that uses hard-surface reflection points at the rear fold. See figure 1 for a top-down secional view.

DM

Re: The Movement of Waves and Particles [message #19149 is a reply to message #19148] Wed, 07 March 2007 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Here is a response curve - not too shabby. Impedance stable to 800Hz.
Shown against a DBB (double 15" bass bin) reflex-ported direct-radiator cabinet in outdoor brick corner.

Jamboree is the design in question, using 2 Crites 15" drivers in parallel configuration.

DBB uses dual Klipsch K33E's in parallel.

DM

Re: The Movement of Waves and Particles [message #19150 is a reply to message #19149] Wed, 07 March 2007 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Aw, heck! here is another attempt at just the curve itself...

outdoors in 1/8th space (corner) @ 3 meters, unreferenced.

DM

Re: The Movement of Waves and Particles [message #19151 is a reply to message #19150] Wed, 07 March 2007 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
Interesting designs, Dana! Are the horn options strictly subs, or can they pass some mids? BTW, I live just a little south of you, in the Fairwood area of Renton.

Excellent! [message #19152 is a reply to message #19151] Thu, 08 March 2007 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks like a good design. How long ago did you file with the PTO, Dana? What was claimed?

Re: The Movement of Waves and Particles [message #19153 is a reply to message #19148] Thu, 08 March 2007 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In figure10 second picture, the design is almost the same as the Hill Brothers M3 design that AC/DC used back in the early 80's. The only difference is they used 3-12" woofers and the box was square but the rear of the woofers shot into the horn like yours.

Re: Excellent! [message #19154 is a reply to message #19152] Thu, 08 March 2007 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne, the complete patent document including the claims is posted somewhere in the same Klipsch thread.

About the claims, they may end up being alot more restrictive when all is said and done, rather than as first presented, but I tried for the whole thing.

Dana

Re: The Movement of Waves and Particles [message #19155 is a reply to message #19151] Thu, 08 March 2007 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
That's cool! Perhaps a get-together sometime in the future?

As for midrange, I wouldn't really want to fold a horn and expect it to pass midrange frequencies, although Bruce Edgar has done an article on a folded midrange horn (if I remember correctly) that is used in a church. It might be possible, but...

Dana

Re: The Movement of Waves and Particles [message #19156 is a reply to message #19153] Thu, 08 March 2007 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Bill, do you have or can you point me to the Hill Brothers M3 design that you mentioned? I wasn't aware of anything like it - I wonder how it would impact my patent application.

Thanks,

Dana

Previous Topic: Amp for array
Next Topic: Intercom replacement speaker needed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 20:51:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers