Home » Audio » Speaker » ?Horn Questions?
Re: I was considering a B&C 8PE21 [message #19122 is a reply to message #19119] Thu, 22 February 2007 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
If you double the 15's and horn-load everything, you've got an X-tro. I've heard almost nothing apart from praise about the 8PE21's sound quality, but the Xmax is small and it won't play much below 250-300Hz. In the X-tro horn, the upper cutoff is claimed to be 2500Hz. Still a decent range!

Straight side walls [message #19123 is a reply to message #19121] Fri, 23 February 2007 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 1970's ten π was a great midbass horn, but it was large. It used a single fold, much like a scoop. Just like my seven π, it was a very simple design. The only downside was it was huge, as big as the 12π basshorn sub.

A conical horn has no more problem with standing waves than any other horn. If the horn is flared in both axis, then standing wave nodes don't set up side to side, like they would in a basshorn having fixed width the whole length of the horn. That's where the problem lies. Basshorns with straight side walls and straight passages inside can develop standing waves along those dimensions if they're used up to high enough frequency. So it's not the expansion rate that causes notches in response, it's the constant width of the pathways, in a cabinet so constructed. If the horn isn't used to high frequency where the first standing wave node causes a notch, it's not a problem. Most basshorns are used only at low frequency, so straight side walls don't matter. But if used high enough, they'll cause notches in response.

Re: Straight side walls [message #19125 is a reply to message #19123] Fri, 23 February 2007 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
OK, I feel better now!

Re: I was considering a B&C 8PE21 [message #19138 is a reply to message #19122] Thu, 01 March 2007 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Walt de Jong is a sharp guy. If that's what he used in the midhorn of his X-Tro loudspeaker, I expect it is a good choice. He is a very capable and thorough speaker designer.

Re: I was considering a B&C 8PE21 [message #19139 is a reply to message #19138] Thu, 01 March 2007 20:14 Go to previous message
Viscount
Yup, it's a 70 degree conical with a throat that's just a wee bit smaller than 4.75" square. The lower cutoff is a little higher than I like (350Hz), but that's easily fixed. The 1" driver is a B&C as well.

Previous Topic: Room treatments and OB
Next Topic: What's Vintage Sound?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 09:01:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout