Home » Audio » Speaker » Listening distance from speaker
Listening distance from speaker [message #19045] Thu, 25 January 2007 13:53 Go to next message
Rapid is currently offline  Rapid
Chancellor
Hello,
What determines the minimum distance you need to sit at to get good sound? Some people claim that you can sit closer to smaller speakers. Is that due to midrange/tweeter diaphragms being closer to each other and being able to sum good at a smaller distance? Just guessing...

Take for example a 15" speaker with 90x90 1" waveguide and a 5" speaker with dome. Do you need to sit further away from the 15" speaker, and why?

Cheers,
Mattias

Re: Listening distance from speaker [message #19046 is a reply to message #19045] Fri, 26 January 2007 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's farfield sound, nearfield sound and too-damn-close sound. What I mean is, when you are very close to a speaker, the angle between you and the woofer is so much different than the angle between you and the tweeter that it is obvious there are two sound sources. Even if the distances are equal and summing is good, the fact that the two bands of sound are coming from two different places is obvious. This is only a problem at very close range, generally within a foot or two, depending on the size of the speaker. Smaller speakers can be listened to from a closer range because the sound sources are closer together.

It depends... [message #19047 is a reply to message #19045] Sat, 27 January 2007 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
The ear is extremely poor at resolving the height of a sound source below 500 Hz. It's still not very good at 1 kHz, but from there its vertical acuity increases rapidly and peaks around 4 kHz.

That being said, most crossovers aren't brick-wall filters, and most large-diameter cones have serious on-axis peaks between 1 and 2 kHz. Crossover type can make a difference too, from what I recall.

So, at the risk of over-generalizing:

1. The lower the crossover, the closer you can sit.

2. The closer the vertical distance between the drivers, the closer you can sit.

3. The steeper the crossover slope, the closer you can sit.

4. The smoother the out-of-passband response from the woofer, the closer you can sit.

5. Even-order crossovers integrate a bit better at close range than do odd-order crossovers.

I'm sure this is incomplete, but it's a start.

Regarding the example you give, in most cases I'd expect the 5" plus dome to work better up close simply because the angular separation between the drivers is so much less. However, with a suitable crossover the 15" plus waveguide just might work better up close.

Perhaps the ideal for ultraclose range is a coaxial driver.

Duke

P.S.... [message #19048 is a reply to message #19047] Sat, 27 January 2007 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I closed my previous post with the suggestion of a coaxial for ultraclose range listening. I'm experimenting with several coaxials right now - shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to know which one I like.

Duke

Re: It depends... [message #19052 is a reply to message #19047] Wed, 31 January 2007 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
3. The steeper the crossover slope, the closer you can sit.

HI Duke,

Intuitively, I would have thought the less the lsope the closer you can sit, since the sound will be more "blended between the 2 drivers, whereas, if the slope is steeper, the sound is "more obviosuly split" between the 2 drivers. So, given constant spacing in both cases, if case 1 has a woofer & mid crossed at 500 Hz (say) with a 12 db slope, the sound may blend in better than case 2, where the slope may be 24 db. I say thin in the context of eh Altec VOTT setup...do you think making the slope steeper between the dome & the horn makes the sound more coherent or less, at smaller listening distances?
BTW, I use a 24 db slope in my system, and cross it at 1500hz, but I kow the traditional passive Altec Xover uses 12 db & crossed at 800 Hz.
-akhilesh

PS [message #19053 is a reply to message #19052] Wed, 31 January 2007 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sorry about the typos. And that should be cone & horn, of course, not dome & horn...sorry!
-akhilesh

Re: It depends... [message #19054 is a reply to message #19052] Wed, 31 January 2007 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Well I may be incorrect, but my (admittedly limited) experience suggests that hearing high frequencies come from the mid/woofer cone is the primary distraction, and the steeper the slope the less high frequencies will be coming from the mid/woof. Also, when a steep slope is used the crossover frequency can usually be lower because the tweeter is better protected.

As an example from another frequency realm, subwoofers with a steep-slope upper cut-off do a better job of "disappearing" than subwoofers with a gentle-slope upper cut-off, again because if we can hear the upper frequencies (even at reduced volume) we can better locate the sound source. I recently had the chance to compare plate amps with 12 dB/octave and 24 dB/octave high pass filters, and the latter enabled me to cross over almost an octave higher before the subwoofer's location could be detected.

Duke

Re: It depends... [message #19055 is a reply to message #19054] Wed, 31 January 2007 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the crossover for subs is very important because of this. Any midbass coming from them gives directional clues, and also can potentially become a summing problem due to being further than 1/4λ between sound sources.

As for crossover slopes between a midwoofer (or midrange) and tweeter, in my experience, it's a balance. I think first and foremost, summing should be good. Directionality should be matched. Both of these are somewhat dependent on crossover frequency and slope.

If the loudspeaker is physically large, then each subsystem is probably further apart than a smaller speaker. For example, the midrange driver of a midhorn is probably further from the tweeter in a large horn speaker than the midwoofer is from the tweeter in a small mini-monitor with a 6.5" woofer and a 1" dome tweeter. To me, it stands to reason that localization of sounds from the mini-monitor would be difficult even just a few inches away. The horn might need a few feet to integrate properly. Then again, the horn probably sounds just fine 30 feet away, whereas the mini-monitor might be straining.

Some would offer the coaxial arrangement as a solution that allows large horn sound with the close-up integration of the mini-monitor. It definitely removes the problem of having a vertical stack, but I've never found one that I could live with the compromises it brings. Not to say there aren't some good coax and multi-driver horn/manifold setups out there. There are some really nice ones. They just aren't my cup of tea.

Re: It depends... [message #19056 is a reply to message #19055] Wed, 31 January 2007 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Two problems I see with high efficiency coaxials: First, the relatively long throat for the high frequency driver (which is typically mounted to the back of the low frequency magnet); and second, the less-than-optimum "mouth" of the "horn". B&C has a couple of coaxials with shorter throats than normal, achieved by using the same magnet for both driverss. I think this is what Tannoy does, and I wonder if the Tannoy patent has expired or something, or maybe B&C is licensing. Not much that can be done about the "mouth" issue, except to listen off-axis. I'm playing with the 12" B&C common-magnet coaxial and like it so far. Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!

Duke

Re: It depends... [message #19057 is a reply to message #19056] Wed, 31 January 2007 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yep, yep. I agree. I've noticed you and I agree about just about everything. Looking forward to seeing you in May!!!

Previous Topic: Word document for cutting flange of Neo Tweeters
Next Topic: Fostex FE126e
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 14:28:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout