Home » Audio » Speaker » Listening distance from speaker
Re: It depends... [message #19054 is a reply to message #19052] Wed, 31 January 2007 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Well I may be incorrect, but my (admittedly limited) experience suggests that hearing high frequencies come from the mid/woofer cone is the primary distraction, and the steeper the slope the less high frequencies will be coming from the mid/woof. Also, when a steep slope is used the crossover frequency can usually be lower because the tweeter is better protected.

As an example from another frequency realm, subwoofers with a steep-slope upper cut-off do a better job of "disappearing" than subwoofers with a gentle-slope upper cut-off, again because if we can hear the upper frequencies (even at reduced volume) we can better locate the sound source. I recently had the chance to compare plate amps with 12 dB/octave and 24 dB/octave high pass filters, and the latter enabled me to cross over almost an octave higher before the subwoofer's location could be detected.

Duke

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message