Home » Audio » Speaker » Beautifull Horns
Beautifull Horns [message #18798] Sun, 09 July 2006 07:19 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I was just re-reading the Crafstmen Forum here for some excellent advice and I came across the Martinelli Woodhorn post. Man are those horns gorgeous; and I don't use that term lightly. I think folks need to refresh their memories as to how genuinely good they are.
Lot of horns out there but nothing even remotely compares to those in looks. And after all; looks really are the point of a wood horn now ain't it?

Re: Beautifull Horns [message #18799 is a reply to message #18798] Sun, 09 July 2006 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I agree. Bill Epstein brought some over yesterday with Altec 902's to try on my system. Ended up we liked my 802 + 811 horn better, but not sure that wasn't just the driver. I really like the looks of the Martinelli horn! Wish I could afford a pair.

Re: Beautifull Horns [message #18800 is a reply to message #18798] Fri, 14 July 2006 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Beautiful they are! At some 800 or more bucks a piece they damn well ought to be! I bought a mint set of Altec A7 828g cabs loaded with perfect cosmetics 515 8Gs, ditto on a pair of 902s and ditto on an excellent pair of later 511B horns (with altec installed vane cuts and rubbery inserts) and original still in the box 5018b crossovers for 800 a piece. They are (Martinelli's) beautiful, but man are they expensive. He did use to supply some basic wood types for painting that were less, but not with the killer looks of the primo fancy wood ones! Of course, these are basically a hand made item with lord only knows how many man hours involved in their creation. Too expensive for me unfortunantly, or I would have a set on the 7 PI pro models I am building. I bought JBL compression drivers, ( from Martinelli in fact), 10 inch JBL mids, and JBL woofers for the project at less cost than two of those gorgeous horns. I wish I could afford them!

Russellc

Re: Yes; Martinelli Horns are the best looking horns out there. [message #18801 is a reply to message #18799] Mon, 17 July 2006 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I wish I could get me a pair now for my 802's; but the thing worth having is the thing worth waiting for. And the guy is so modest; never brags or boasts about the quality of his work. Sometimes I think he's too modest; with all the hot air that passes for wisdom around horns and loudspeakers it has to be hard to overcome that puffery and get the real stuff out there.

Re: Yes; Martinelli Horns are the best looking horns out there. [message #18802 is a reply to message #18801] Tue, 18 July 2006 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I visited Alfred Kayser, the KR Audio disributor a few weeks ago. He has his own set of Martinelli horns atop the most gorgeous Bubinga cabinets Bill made.
You'll recall the unusual 3 color veneer cabinets he made last year? They were also there at Alfreds while their owner was remodeling. The incredible fotos were beggared by the real thing!

The horns also have a particular "sound" that is at once more mellow than the aluminum Altecs and more revealing of inner detail. True, at least, of 806A's with 811B's with cut and dampened vanes.

As Steve Brown wrote last week, the 902's sounded "better" with the 811's than the Woodhorns but with a different crossover than used in the 806 comparison.

And while we're discussing handwork, you should see the no-nonsense electronics Steve turns out seemingly every weekend. His latest push-pull amp is really special-sounding. Very extended frequency range along with SET presence.

Thanks Bill ! (nt) [message #18803 is a reply to message #18802] Wed, 19 July 2006 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
nt

Re: Yes; Martinelli Horns are the best looking horns out there. [message #18804 is a reply to message #18802] Wed, 19 July 2006 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Which diaghram does the 902 use if you know? Also complete agreement on the horns. I am sure everyone would love to see and be made aware of Steve's work; does he have a website?

Re: Yes; Martinelli Horns are the best looking horns out there. [message #18811 is a reply to message #18804] Wed, 26 July 2006 19:23 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I know. It uses the desireable aluminum dome. Usually, unless you find one that someone installed a symbiotic diaphram in, which basically makes it a 908 8b. some of the early examples of the 902 will have a number that you wont see on all the altec lists out there, but it is the same dome. It is basically the same as the 802 versions use, the difference being (unless the 802 has been updated) is the way the leads attach. on the early 802 style diaphram, the leads attach by screws. On the 902 style, they are a slip on deal. When upgrading older 802 with new diaphrams from great plains, you must buy a kit to change these wires, as the screw on types are no longer made. The 902 8b uses a non perforated centering ring, which means the diaphram is not exposed to the magnet chamber. The 902 8B usually comes with a loading cap and no felt, which I always remove and install felts. this makes it like a 902 8a, with the exception of the centering ring, which is perforated, ( in the 902 8A) exposing the diaphram to the magnet chamber. some say this gives the warmer sound of the 902 8a. Frankly, I dont know if I hear a difference in the perforated vs non perforated centering ring. the 902 also uses a tangerine phase plug in both versions, while the 802 8d uses the standard phase plug. Allegedly, the tangarine plug gives a bit more extention on the high end. Two exceptions to the general 802 has standard phase plug rule are, the 802 8g, which is a 802 (alnico mags) but does have a tangerine phase plug. In my opinion, this is the altec driver to have. similarly, the 808 8B also is basically an 802 8g, ( alnico, tangerine phase plug) but has loading caps and symbiotic diaphram. Change the diaphram to the good aluminum one, remove the phase plugs, installfelts and you have a 802 8G. The 808 8A usually has the symbiotic diaphram (not always) no loading caps, but standard phase plug. All 802 and 808 drivers have perforated centering rings, so the diaphrams are exposed to the magnet chamber. Additionally, the 908 8B...Basically a 902 8B with a symbiotic diaphram. Instally aluminum diaphram, and it is a 902 8B. Remove the loading caps and install felts and it is almost a 902 8A, with the exception of having a non perforated centering ring, unlike the perforated version used in the 902 8A. to mix things up, there are apparently a few 902 8b and 908 8b that DO have perforated centering rings, but I have never found one. finally, the 909 drivers, which use a pascalite diaphram, (otherwise a 902) which is supposed to have the higher power handleing of the symbiotic diaphram and the higher end extention of the preferred aluminum dome. I dont know what the 909 centering ring situation is As to the 806 and 807, they have a slightly smaller body compared to the 802 8d, and slightly less magnet, and some say slightly less extention. I have never used these versions and can not comment on their sound.

Hope this helps more than confuses, it took me a lot of time and money to figure this out.

Russellc

Previous Topic: New Crossover Design For Small Boxes
Next Topic: Interesting speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 05:54:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers