Home » Audio » Speaker » Shorting rings - Improve something else besides 2HD and Le?
Re: Shorting rings - Improve something else besides 2HD and Le? [message #18558 is a reply to message #18539] Fri, 17 February 2006 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Hi Wayne

There are lots of considerations here.

First they do more than just reduce 2nd order HD, they in fact linearize the inductance for all orders. If it were just second order then they wouldn't be worth doing.

Yes they are ineffective at LF, but the problems aren't at LF, they are at the frequencies where the inductance is significant. There is no flux modulation at LF. At LF the concern is for cone displacement linearity not for current linearity.

Which makes my next point. For any driver only operated low in its pass band, like a subwoofer, they are of no use. But for a speaker like mine where I take the 4" VC woofer up to 900 Hz they are critical and I wouldn't consider a speaker without one.

They are also quite beneficial on compression drivers for not only linearizing the inductance but minimizing it for a better HF response.

So in general if I had to either have them or not have them I'd definately rather have them. But, there are situations where they don't do much.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Time Alignment - Horn/Compression & Woofer
Next Topic: Looking for a single driver?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 12 17:16:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio