Home » Audio » Speaker » Predicting The Effects Of Grille Cloth ???
Predicting The Effects Of Grille Cloth ??? [message #18138] Wed, 31 August 2005 12:23 Go to next message
Ka7niq is currently offline  Ka7niq
Baron
Have any of you ever built a speaker and used grill cloth so thick you cant see through it w/o a flashlight ?
My friend just built some speakers, and he has the drivers hidden behind some really thick stuff, and covering the port as well!
Can this effect port tuning too ?
What might be a better grill cloth material to use ?
What, if anything, will relatively thick grille cloth do to sound/port tuning ?

Re: Predicting The Effects Of Grille Cloth ??? [message #18139 is a reply to message #18138] Wed, 31 August 2005 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There may be a published absorption coefficient or sabins figure for the material. If so, using that and its position, you can predict what effect it will have. You could also use something like Speaker Workshop to measure the speaker with the grille on and off, and compare the difference.

Thin Silk [message #18142 is a reply to message #18138] Thu, 08 September 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GeneB is currently offline  GeneB
Esquire
I've settled on thin silk. About $12/yard. If you are artistic you can use water colors to add a fashon statement. If not, buy pre-dyed.

I build two curved aluminum rods, left/right, sew a loop on the end of the slik that slides onto the rods, and tenson the silk by pushing the ends of the Al rod into holes on the front baffle. Looks a little like the Revels.

Re: Predicting The Effects Of Grille Cloth ??? [message #18347 is a reply to message #18138] Wed, 21 December 2005 13:44 Go to previous message
Hornlover is currently offline  Hornlover
Esquire
How about using real grill cloth? This is my favorite source:

Previous Topic: revisiting the Delta 12LF
Next Topic: Playing w/Horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 03:04:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio