Home » Audio » Speaker » Array Me in the Right Direction
Properly designed point-source systems are not easy to design OR install [message #18187 is a reply to message #18186] Wed, 19 October 2005 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd W. White is currently offline  Todd W. White
Chancellor
Let's face it: it's a LOT easier to hang a box with all of the moving parts already mounted in it, aim it (like a shotgun) in the general direction of a crowd, crank it up and proclaim it as "SUPERIOR" than it is to do take the measurements (if you don't know which ones, I can elaborate), do the math, be familiar with the ACTUAL perfomance characteristics of the speakers you are using, and be able to assemble on paper (or computer these days) a COHERENT system (much less install it correctly) that WILL WORK RIGHT.

It takes a LOT of understanding and experience to do a big cluster that really CAN give uniform frequency response AND SPL to all seats, so most designers and installers want it easy and LOUD, so that's what the manufacturers give them.

It will be YEARS before the end users/owners figure out that they've been ripped off and the pendulum swings back to the other way...

"Do the math, and you won't make the mistakes everyone else is making" - Don Davis

Re: Properly designed point-source systems are not easy to design OR install [message #18188 is a reply to message #18187] Wed, 19 October 2005 22:25 Go to previous message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
Unfortunately, my math is weak at this time, and is something I must change to meet my goals! My interest is in a single-tier horizontal array (no stacked clusters) as a club system, with an eye toward controlled dispersion via number of arrayed traps. And, no dedicated processors! As I put it before, "shoot the audience, not the bartender." Apart from knowing which HF horns & compression drivers I wish to use, the rest is undetermined.

Previous Topic: exafone
Next Topic: installing Lowthers in King BR box
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 20:35:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout