Home » Audio » General » Breaking ground loop hum caused by satellite dish...
Breaking ground loop hum caused by satellite dish... [message #1762] Mon, 23 May 2005 09:57 Go to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

I am getting a ground loop hum from a recently installed satellite dish. Does anyone know how to break the ground on a satellite signal? Regular cable TV isolators do not work with satellite signals. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Breaking ground loop hum caused by satellite dish... [message #1763 is a reply to message #1762] Mon, 23 May 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're connecting using RF, use a 75 ohm to 300 ohm transformer. If you don't have a 300 ohm input, put two of 'em back to back.

Re: Breaking ground loop hum caused by satellite dish... [message #1766 is a reply to message #1763] Mon, 23 May 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately putting two transformers back to back doesn't work with a satellite signal. At least it doesn't work with mine. It breaks the connection completely and I get no picture at all. Thanks for your response it is appreciated.

Mr Vinyl

Re: Breaking ground loop hum caused by satellite dish... [message #1767 is a reply to message #1766] Mon, 23 May 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The thing is, the dish itself is just an antenna with a coax feed. The installer probably connected the shield to earth ground at the most convenient point. The rest of your system is grounded through the AC wall socket and its earth ground is probably connected somewhere else, so there is a potential for a ground loop.

The satellite dish tuner probably has S-Video and composite video outputs, but those will have a ground connection. But it probably also has an RF outputs that is modulated to a standard television broadcast frequency, like channel 3. That output can be isolated using RF transformers.

If you can't isolate the system after the tuner, then you will have to solve the grounding problem another way. You might want to connect earth ground for the dish at the same point as earth ground connection of your AC outlets. If you're lucky, they come into the house fairly close to one another.

Re: Breaking ground loop hum caused by satellite dish... [message #1771 is a reply to message #1767] Mon, 23 May 2005 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne,

Everything you say is correct. However using an RF transformer on the RF output doesn't break the ground loop for some reason. I am going to try your idea on grounding it to the same earth ground as the AC outlets. It's about thirty feet away. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Re: Breaking ground loop hum caused by satellite dish... [message #1775 is a reply to message #1771] Mon, 23 May 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If using an RF transformer doesn't stop the hum then one of two things must be the case. Either you have another ground connection, possibly through RCA connectors, or the problem isn't caused by a ground loop.

I solved the problem... [message #1816 is a reply to message #1775] Fri, 27 May 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I solved the problem using this device in between the dish ground and the house ground outside my house. See link.

Re: I solved the problem... [message #1817 is a reply to message #1816] Fri, 27 May 2005 11:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very good. And thanks for the link!

Previous Topic: Attenuate amp inputs
Next Topic: Happy Memorial Day weekend!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 05:30:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio