Home » Audio » Speaker » Subhornor bass horns only
Subhornor bass horns only [message #18149] Mon, 26 September 2005 08:04 Go to next message
adavis464 is currently offline  adavis464
Viscount
Horn expansion is the volume of the expansion the important part.In other words when shape start to effect the response.I used Mcbean to calculate the expantion of a sub horn using JBL2240 I am limited to 21" in width and let the expansion from there.At what point if I made it lets say 18" would this be worst or no different.Its built Ijust need to make th back chamber and stand.It's 5'by5'21" wide regards Tim

Re: Subhornor bass horns only [message #18150 is a reply to message #18149] Mon, 26 September 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The truth is, when a segment expands with a straight-sided expansion on one side and no expansion on the other, it is really a parabolic expansion, not conical. Conical expansion requires linear expansion in both axis. Exponential or hyperbolic requires even more. But by using several sections, you can approximate the flare you want, even with straight side walls. Also, there will be a notch in output at the frequency where the side wall distance is 1/4 wavelength, so consider this when choosing a crossover frequency. If it's a basshorn, it probably won't be an issue, and may help increase rolloff above the passband.

I didn't know about the parabolic expansion [message #18151 is a reply to message #18150] Mon, 26 September 2005 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adavis464 is currently offline  adavis464
Viscount
That's very interesting.I have another question about covering the mouth of the sub see I have a cat and I think she's going to love it in there ;)So grill cloth it is.What effect will it have.I try to measure and post the data and pics.Regards Tim

Re: I didn't know about the parabolic expansion [message #18152 is a reply to message #18151] Mon, 26 September 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the grille cloth will probably be just fine. I've heard of people using a metal grille mesh to keep debris (beer bottles, cigarette butts and ashtrays) out of horns used in clubs. I think that's just fine too, but I think it must ultimately reduce mouth area. Some meshes have probably 50% of the area covered, so that's something to think about on horns with limited mouth area to begin with. But in a club, I think it's probably a good idea and boundary loading will help offset the impact of reduced mouth area. If the horn is designed for halfspace, indoor boundary conditions will probably more than offset the reduction of mouth area. Still, it's something to think about if you're looking at options.

Re: Use 'hardware cloth' nt [message #18158 is a reply to message #18152] Wed, 05 October 2005 03:46 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Previous Topic: DIY Planars?
Next Topic: Modeling the mid woofers for Xover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 07:14:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers