Home » Audio » Speaker » The Effects Of Too Thick Grill Cloth ??
The Effects Of Too Thick Grill Cloth ?? [message #18114] Sun, 21 August 2005 08:26 Go to next message
certa is currently offline  certa
Esquire
My friend built some very wide baffle speakers that are ported.
They sounded great.
He then went to a fabric store, and wrapped them in this thick grill cloth.
You cant even see through it with a flashlight!
Now, his speakers sound muffled, and the bass went away!
Can grill cloth actually effect the port tuning and make this much diference ?
His baffle is 3 feet wide, and 5 feet tall, so he needs a rather large piece of fabric.
What should he do, and what might he use >
?

Re: The Effects Of Too Thick Grill Cloth ?? [message #18115 is a reply to message #18114] Sun, 21 August 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
!00 thread count silk; it has to be silk for the right sonic properties.
This isn't facetious; for some reason silk does not affect the sound as much as synthetic woven fabrics. Fabric stores in most towns either carry it or can get it.

Can Thick Grill Cloth De Tune A Port Too ? [message #18117 is a reply to message #18115] Sun, 21 August 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
certa is currently offline  certa
Esquire
The port is flush with the baffle

Re: Can Thick Grill Cloth De Tune A Port Too ? [message #18118 is a reply to message #18117] Sun, 21 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Try those magnetic standoffs from Partsexpress.

Re: The Effects Of Too Thick Grill Cloth ?? [message #18121 is a reply to message #18114] Thu, 25 August 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Go "Naked," the speakers that is.. I learned this many years ago at forst with my large AR speakers. Then my JBL L300 Summit speakers also sounded much better without the grill covers. Same with my Celestion, and the 2-way 6' horns. If it were my speakers they would go Naked. Good luck! The effect of too thick grill cloth is like putting a hankerchief over a telephone. It will muffle the sound. He can always put the grill covers on when he is not using them. John

Re: Can Thick Grill Cloth De Tune A Port Too ? [message #18127 is a reply to message #18118] Fri, 26 August 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
An excellent grille material that's both acoustically transparant and nearly indestructable is called Pet Screen, a door/window screening material available at hardware stores and home centers.

Re: Can Thick Grill Cloth De Tune A Port Too ? [message #18132 is a reply to message #18127] Sat, 27 August 2005 13:47 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Boy I got a laugh out of that; I just spied some of that in the hardware store and thought to myself the very same thing and then read your post. Looks like your one step up on me.

Previous Topic: Sprkman57 Roadtrip A7
Next Topic: Ping "Ed"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 14:19:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout