Home » Audio » Speaker » Filling behind the horn of the A7/828 cabinet
Filling behind the horn of the A7/828 cabinet [message #18089] Sat, 06 August 2005 13:27 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Seems that a lot of people advocate filling behind the horn with concrete, but does that ever add some weight.

If you want to take the curse off, try 8 parts vermiculite to 1 part portland - ends up about 20 pounds per cubic foot, vs about 150 pounds per cubic foot for conventional mix.

I've been thinking that I might try casting some large horns with it this fall (emphasis on "thinking")

Re: Filling behind the horn of the A7/828 cabinet [message #18090 is a reply to message #18089] Sun, 07 August 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've had good experience with closed cell foam. It expands to fill in the area and preloads the panels. Forms a solid mass and doesn't weigh much at all. The one downside is it's easy to overfill, which then can over expand and burst panels. So you have to be careful to consider the expansion when using the stuff, and don't fill the area, let the expansion fill the space.

Re: Filling behind the horn of the A7/828 cabinet [message #18106 is a reply to message #18089] Thu, 18 August 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zincman is currently offline  zincman
Baron
Try using plumbers putty. Cost about $5.00 for enough to fill all you want. Although I have filled mine and used my 511 stock and can tell very little difference in the sound.
Tim

Re: Filling behind the horn of the A7/828 cabinet [message #18306 is a reply to message #18089] Mon, 28 November 2005 10:53 Go to previous message
jjsvg is currently offline  jjsvg
Esquire
Such a drastic measure, this conrete idea.
I found that a large tube sock, filled with rice, works excellently as a non invasive fix for the ringing.
I got the idea by accidentally placing a "bed buddy" on one of the horns and noticed that it didn't ring, even when tapped.
A bed buddy is one of those microwaveable things that you put on your neck to releive muscle pain. It's cheap, works 90% and doesn;t mess up the horn.

Previous Topic: Conical front horn
Next Topic: need data on gauss hf 4000
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 22 22:49:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout