Home » Audio » Speaker » New Pic & Observations
New Pic & Observations [message #17998] Fri, 24 June 2005 16:16 Go to next message
zincman is currently offline  zincman
Baron
Well after a little paint and made up some port covers the A7 cabs are starting to look a little better. As for the sound I am still blown away. I should say I am not a technical expert in audio and could not tell you what is rolling where and at what db, but as a 30 plus year audio lover I can tell you how it sounds to me.
OBSERVATION 1: My CD collection is horrible for crtical listenting and all CD's are not equal. Great speakers really nail down shortfalls elsewhere and many CD I thought sounded pretty good with other setups really sound like crap. So any suggestions for Jazz, Vocals, let me know.
OBSERVATION 2: The Altec 416-16 is a wonderful speaker. Solid bass you can feel in your gut, hard to get out of most speakers.
OBSERVATION 3: 802/811 horn combo has very lush mids and highs.
Horns(SAX) in my house have never sounded better. Ron AKA Sprkman57 is going to do some horn swapping and assures me he has an even better set up, CAN'T Wait
OBSERVATION 4: The A7 can in my modest opinion be almost overwhelming. I have so much sound in my room it is incredible.
OBSERVATION 5: I can't imagine listening to anything else, at least right now this set up is the best I have ever owned and would take a lot to change my mind about the Altec sound.

Re: New Pic & Observations [message #17999 is a reply to message #17998] Fri, 24 June 2005 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That really is a good looking speaker. Awesome!

Re: New Pic & Observations [message #18001 is a reply to message #17999] Fri, 24 June 2005 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks Wayne and the best part is they sound pretty darn good too!

Re: New Pic & Observations [message #18004 is a reply to message #18001] Fri, 24 June 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll bet they do!

Re: New Pic & Observations [message #18005 is a reply to message #17998] Sat, 25 June 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wife's been in Boston this week, so I have not had much of a chance to play.

I know what you mean by some CD's sounding like shit. The first time I went to Ron's house I took some "audiophile" Cds along. About 5 seconds into the first recording, I was actually embarased by the sound. What sounded good on my system was anything but.

I'm just not blown over by the bass of the 416. I suspect I've just been accustomed to over-bloated (not accurate) bass reproduction. Alos, my 416 still have very few hours on them, and I suspect are still breaking in. Don't get me wrong. I love the sound.

The horns do reproduce a sax like no other combination I've heard. I love the sax (used to play) and I know what one should sound like.

I know exactly what you mean by TONS of sound in the room. Good, ain't it

I told Ron this is the best system I have ever heard, and could not imagine anything better, at least for my needs. He assured me I WILL be changing; this is just the first step.

I'm not changing anything until: 1) I get my SE 811-10 tube amp up and running. I have 50% of the parts ordered, and the remaining should be selected this weekend. Shit, this project got expensive very quickly; and 2) I got the green light from the wife to start finishing the basement. I have about 2000sf to complete and, honestly, this will take about a year. The basement will include a pool area, library, full kitchen, full bath with walk-in shower and sauna, small HT, dedicated listening room (9' x 13' x 22')and office. How are you with a hammer and nail?......Colin

Re: New Pic & Observations [message #18007 is a reply to message #18005] Sat, 25 June 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I got to say in all honesty I can't hammer or cut straight but always up to helping out.

Re: New Pic & Observations [message #18008 is a reply to message #18007] Sat, 25 June 2005 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
If you can pull a trigger or operate a miter saw, you're hired.....Colin

Tip from fellow A7 owner [message #18010 is a reply to message #17998] Sun, 26 June 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wardsweb is currently offline  wardsweb
Baron
Hello - a friend of mine send me a link to your post and ask that I take a look at what you have done. First off, you did a very nice job on putting these together. They are truely something to be proud of. As for your harsh mids and highs, may I ask a question, make a comment and add a suggestion. What crossover are you using with the 811 horn? If you ever come across a pair of 511B you may find them more to your liking. Now for something you can do now, dampen your horn. This can be done in several ways.

The first two are easy: 1 - You may take some modeling clay and partially fill the upper lip in your horn. 2 - go buy a couple 2 pound "soft" weights made for diving (cloth bag filled with lead shot)and lay one in the top lip of each driver. Either of these will take out almost all the "ring" in you horns and tame some of the harshness you speak of.

This next option is a little more involved: You cut the welds out of the divider veins in the mouth of the horn, then fill it back in with some long life silicone glue like Permatex Blue gasket cement.

The last option is to dampen the outside of the bell with any number of sound dampening materials that add mass. You can buy spray on deadener like used in car audio applications, you can build up layers of latex paint and sand mixed together (layer it until the bell no loner rings when tapped with your knuckle), or line the lip of the bell with sound deadening rubber sheets.

Re: Tip from fellow A7 owner [message #18011 is a reply to message #18010] Sun, 26 June 2005 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have noticed lot of posts concerning dampening of the 811/511 and when they are not firmly attached to the enclosure they ring; but when I bolt mine tight to the box I hear no ring even with a forcible rap to the bell. So how can they ring when they are in fact dampened by the simple act of tightening the mounting bolts? Has this been brought up before?

Re: Tip from fellow A7 owner [message #18012 is a reply to message #18010] Sun, 26 June 2005 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Thanks for the kind words on the cabs. I have read a lot about damping these horns and you are the first person to actually give specific information on how to. Thanks for that. At this point I think Ron AKA Sprkman57 and I are going to do some horn swapping to start with, the 511 and see how they run. I have noticed these cabinets have quite a bit of resonance to them. I also have placed what I think is too thick of insulation inside. So the bottom line is I have a lot of tuning to do and I really appreciate your help and insight.
Tim

Previous Topic: acoustat renewal
Next Topic: ALtec Vott evaluation: A7 - 500
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 31 23:23:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers