Home » Audio » Speaker » OS waveguides
Re: Compressiondrivers in general [message #17940 is a reply to message #17939] Tue, 07 June 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Our study of distortion had a crossover at 1000 Hz. Remember that in a Home Theater one would never even come close to the SPL's that these devices are capable of. No, I don't think that nonlinear distortion is an issue at all in a non-pro application.

In sound reinforcment the situation is clearly different. One is always trying to operate these devices at their upper limit. So I would not take a 1" Comp-Driver down to 900 Hz. In most of my designs for pro, I use a 2" driver down to 1.6 kHz or so and then there are sometimes three of them per cabinet. The pro world and the home world are quite different.

Loading of a waveguide, or horn, is a totaly over-blown concept. For all practical purposes any shape with the same throat and mouth areas will have about the same loading. Some may have a little more somewhere and another a little more somewhere else, but they will all be within about 1 dB of each other. I pay no attention what-so-ever to loading. I only care about wavefront formation, internal reflections and diffraction and the resulting polar response. I can easily EQ any "loading" differences, but I cannot correct any of these other properties after the fact - they must be corrected in the design.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message