Home » Audio » Speaker » A7s upstairs and almost ready to go
Re: IT'S ALIVE [message #17890 is a reply to message #17876] Wed, 01 June 2005 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zincman is currently offline  zincman
Baron
Nice to finally get to yack at you Colin. Great looking set up, I am sure it will sound great. Below is a picture of my wall oh stuff. Bottlehead Foreplay, Paramour, Altec 416/811/802, backloaded horns, and misc other stuff. Most of which comes from Sprkman57 (Ron), who is a going to put my in the dog house before it is over but it should sound sweet.

Re: IT'S ALIVE [message #17891 is a reply to message #17890] Thu, 02 June 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sorry about the kids yelling while we on the phone. They do not realize that they are not the center of the universe.

Your Bottlehead gears is nice stuff. They have all the upgrades, don't they? I like the picture of your room. I cannot wait to come give it a listen. I'll have to check with the wife for our schedule and see when you and Ron can come over. I'm thinking Ron is going to have to sneek through the back door, just to avoid the wife.

If there is anyting I can help you with, please give me a call.....Colin

Re: IT'S ALIVE [message #17892 is a reply to message #17891] Thu, 02 June 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yeah my kids never bother me on the phone It is good to find someone that is familiar with "Speed Listening" to single folks that is a new audio technique similar to Speed Golfing. Yeah the Bottlehead stuff has all the mods and all I need is some tube rolling 2A3's. My wife refers to my stuff as my wall of junk, but what does she know:-).
Tim

Re: IT'S ALIVE [message #17893 is a reply to message #17892] Thu, 02 June 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Forget speed golf. I'm a speed drinker.

Tell when you can make it down for a listen. If it's better to come in the evening after the kids are in bed, that works for me.....Colin

Horns [message #17894 is a reply to message #17885] Thu, 02 June 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
John, Thanks for the vote. It's been a lot of fun here. I turned up the volume on the A7s today - just for fun. Man, those things put out some sound. You're right about taking more money for better sound. Vintage Altec/JBL must be the unknown bargain of the century. I'm going to have to do some tweeking and room treatment to get the best they can offer, and I'm sure the results will be "positive and noticable."

I surprised no one has chimed in regarding your question about what makes an A7. As far as I can tell from the spec sheets, about any combination of drivers makes one. I'll try to find the papers later. I'm still pouring over the literature you kindly sent. If you have more, I'd be more than happy to see it.

I really like your setup. Hopefully I can come up and give it a listen in the next year or so.

I'm putting out feelers regarding a low power(what else) 45 SE amp. Got any thoughts. I'm thinking 1-2 watts is plenty.....Colin

Re: Horns [message #17895 is a reply to message #17894] Thu, 02 June 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for the kind words and the attention to that A7 post. It seems that there is really two camps of opinion concerning the use of 416/515 and the pair of woofers were really interchangeable in as far as Altec provided them in stock A7 units. But their specs are different which brings up that post. I see after reviewing the lit I sent it mostly deals with pro applications and it also exposes the 416 as the A7 driver of choice.
However the Hiraga set-up and the Exemplar both use the Ferric version of the 515; I would be interested to know of anyone else who favored that system. There must be a reason those drivers go for 600$ a piece.

Congradgulations on your set-up; I know it sounds great.
Man I am still in a quandrey concerning amps; I will send you a schematic for a nice simple 813 tube SE I stumbled upon that looks promising. It provides 20 clean watts of power and seems simple to build but gets high marks for immediacy and detail. One of Doug's favorite tubes.
As a point of reference I believe Jean Hiraga uses his 20 watt class A SS amp on his A5's.
I am still waiting for Doug to come up with the 12b4 circuit for Guinevere; I posted that I was tearing it down to put it in a better enclosure and he suggested I wait for the new schematic before going ahead with it.

Re: IT'S ALIVE [message #17897 is a reply to message #17893] Thu, 02 June 2005 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I hope I can come pretty soon. I still need to get over to Ron's to grab the other VOTT cabs. I can't wait to hear the 416 in a larger cabinet. Speed Beer is also a sport catering to us Daddies but rumor has it even single people like it

Re: IT'S ALIVE [message #17898 is a reply to message #17897] Thu, 02 June 2005 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
If we can hook up and go to Ron's together, we can take my truck and haul the cabs back.

Hate to tell you this, but speed drinking it how you got to be a Dad.....Colin

Re: Horns [message #17899 is a reply to message #17895] Thu, 02 June 2005 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Said it before and I'll say it again, i have both pairs of woofers, ( 5158g and 416 8c and while both sound fabulous, I prefer the 416 drivers. The guys on the Altec users forum don't seem to agree with me for the most part however, so you results may vary. The 515s of mine are more massive, and are truely almost sculpture, but I like the 416s better by a very small margin. The altec users forum advised me the 515 would need to be "equalized" and would then better the 416. Whatever both are great.

Regards,
Russellc

Re: IT'S ALIVE [message #17900 is a reply to message #17898] Thu, 02 June 2005 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
in my case that is a true statement. Have you seen this link before? Oh my God, prices have climbed a bit?

Previous Topic: 150 Hz Edgar horns - What to do? (pic)
Next Topic: Arry port lengths
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 15:53:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout