Home » Audio » Speaker » A7s upstairs and almost ready to go
A7s upstairs and almost ready to go [message #17871] Mon, 30 May 2005 16:17 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

The A7s still need the drivers installed and front baffle screwed on. Other than that the room is ready to go. Should be running tomorrow......Colin

Re: A7s upstairs and almost ready to go [message #17872 is a reply to message #17871] Mon, 30 May 2005 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Man, that's great! You must be excited. I'm excited for you!

Re: A7s upstairs and almost ready to go [message #17873 is a reply to message #17872] Tue, 31 May 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just like Larry the cable guy says:

"Get-r-done!!!"

Nice room Colin!

Ron

Re: A7s upstairs and almost ready to go [message #17874 is a reply to message #17871] Tue, 31 May 2005 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Cool. Looks very familiar. Let us know how your A7 project goes. I love mine, but they can take some fooling with to get to sound right. I realize they are just set in the room and all, but experiment with considerable more tow in to where the axis of the speakers cross in front of the listening position. Every room is different, but this set up has improved "imaging" and so forth in some I've dealt with. as usual, YMMV. Are those 511b or 811b horns?

Regards,
Russellc

Re: A7s upstairs and almost ready to go [message #17875 is a reply to message #17874] Tue, 31 May 2005 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm just about to go upstairs and hook everything up. I know it's going to take some moving around to get things to sound right. I hope it doesn't take too much moving though; those cabs are heavy.

The horns are 511s. I started out with 811s, but Spkrman57 traded me.

I'll have more pictures and a report later this evening......Colin

IT'S ALIVE [message #17876 is a reply to message #17873] Wed, 01 June 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

They are up and running and playing sweet music. Lots of tweeking to do with regard to room placement. More to come......Colin

Re: IT'S ALIVE [message #17883 is a reply to message #17876] Wed, 01 June 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Congratulations! I love the photo of Gene Wilder as Young Frankenstein, by the way. I can just hear him saying that!

Thanks to everyone [message #17884 is a reply to message #17883] Wed, 01 June 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks, I could not put this together without the help of fellow ART members. I would like to thank Manualblock (John) and Spkrman57 (Ron) for all the hand holding. I could not have done it without the help of these guys.

Wayne, this place really is the best and something to be very proud of. I know we don't say it enough, but thanks for making ART such a wonderful place to visit......Colin

Re: Thanks to everyone [message #17885 is a reply to message #17884] Wed, 01 June 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Don't forget to thank yourself; you are a big part of the best of ART.

And remmember; these older hornloaded systems are a lifelong endeavor and there is always something new to absorb. On the Joelist is at this time a very interesting discussion going on about the vintage JBL drivers and how to implement them. It is my contention that it takes huge amounts of money to buy something that will signifigantly improve on the JBL/Altec vintage drivers. But the best part is every thing you do to improve them brings positive and noticable results.

Re: A7s upstairs and almost ready to go [message #17887 is a reply to message #17875] Wed, 01 June 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good trade. i myself prefer the 511b. examine your 511bs carefully and note whether or not it is one of the later models. the later (and to my ears better) ones have the "vanes" in the horn pre-cut and the gap filled with a rubbery like substance. also, a very small brace way back in the throat is absent, but the mounting spots are there. these tricks go a long way towards eliminating the ringing effect. If you have the later models, they can benefit by being seperated with a sawsall and the slot filled with silicone or rubber. Also knock out that pesky brace in the back of the throat. what sort of drivers did you end up with?

Regards, russellc

Previous Topic: 150 Hz Edgar horns - What to do? (pic)
Next Topic: Arry port lengths
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 11:55:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout