Home » Audio » Speaker » Speakers for Dared MP-7
Speakers for Dared MP-7 [message #17860] Wed, 25 May 2005 11:15 Go to next message
James T is currently offline  James T
Esquire
Hi all, I just bought my first tube amp, a Dared MP-7. Looking for recommendations for speakers for a 22' x 16' room. I wouldn't say price is no object but lets just say that I am willing to pay for quality. I listen to everything from soft jazz to 40 piece orchestra. All suggestions welcome. TIA James

Almost Dared myself [message #17862 is a reply to message #17860] Wed, 25 May 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Those amps look very nice and are very reasonably priced. I've been scratching my head if I should take the plunge on blind faith. Please tell us how it performs......Colin

Re: Almost Dared myself [message #17863 is a reply to message #17862] Wed, 25 May 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I fired it up; sounds good but doesn't deliver the goods with Mission V61's. I think a more efficient speaker is in order for this amp. Borrowed Omega loaners and was underwhelmed, looking for other options.

High efficieny speakers [message #17864 is a reply to message #17863] Wed, 25 May 2005 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I have a small pair of Missions and small Maggies. Neither one worked very well with my Cayin TA-30 tube amp (35W in PP). Luckily, a fellow ART member lived within driving distance and set me up with a pais of Altec A7-500 (note: LOW WAF.)

You might want to check out the link below to see if any of these new speakers meet your criteria......Colin

Re: Speakers for Dared MP-7 [message #17865 is a reply to message #17860] Thu, 26 May 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Can you build the enclosure? If so then you should take a look at the Pi series on this forum. They deliver the goods with tubes. They do well with acoustic music yet they can open up and crank with the big band stuff. You can buy them pre-built but to build the box's is pretty simple and you can get the finish you want.
Don't be fooled by the PA concept; these are highly resolving, well balanced speakers.

Re: Speakers for Dared MP-7 [message #17867 is a reply to message #17865] Thu, 26 May 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thank you. I'll check into that.

Re: High efficieny speakers [message #17868 is a reply to message #17864] Thu, 26 May 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the link. I'll do some research and report back.

Re: High efficieny speakers [message #17869 is a reply to message #17868] Thu, 26 May 2005 09:54 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm not sure how much you're into DIY, but I think you'll find the Pi speaker line at the top of the list. If you're not setup to cut wood, then maybe a local (amateur or professional) can help you out at a fairly reasonable price.

If you're in or close to a big city then a Rockler or Woodcraft store would be a good place to look for a person to make the boxes.

Also, a local votech is another good place to get cheap work done. I think the kids there would love to build some big speaker boxes.....Colin

Previous Topic: 2 audax pr 17omo on open baffle vertical 1/16th" apart
Next Topic: Did Martin King do something with those?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 07:26:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio