Home » Audio » Speaker » Two horn theory papers
Two horn theory papers [message #17791] Thu, 05 May 2005 17:26 Go to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi all.
Maybe useful to some incase you havent seen.

Horn AcousticsZIP
Calculation through the cutoff frequency [b&w engineer]

Analysis of a Folded Hornpdf
Andrew Bright 1 2
1 Nokia Group, FIN-00045, Helsinki, Finland
2 Section of Acoustic Technology, Ørsted•DTU, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
ABSTRACT
A boundary element model is used to analyse a folded horn. Results from the boundary element model are
compared to measurements of the throat radiation impedance and the far-field acoustic response. Further analysis
shows how one-dimensional and lumped parameter models can be derived from the boundary element results, and
used to gain insight into the behaviour of the folded horn loudspeaker system. It is shown that one type of folded
horn behaves more like a vented-box than a traditional horn-loaded loudspeaker system.

web site has exceeded its allocated data transfer. [message #17792 is a reply to message #17791] Thu, 05 May 2005 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
footstony is currently offline  footstony
Chancellor
Thanks mike.e,

sounds interesting. I'll try again later.

Regards Philip

Re: Two horn theory papers [message #17793 is a reply to message #17791] Thu, 05 May 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great link, thanks Mike!

Re: Two horn theory papers [message #17794 is a reply to message #17793] Fri, 06 May 2005 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Wayne

Look out in the Journal for June as I wrote a correct to the mentioned paper.

I've been saying for a long time that a horn loaded woofer is nothing more than a bandpass system with a big port.

Re: Two horn theory papers [message #17797 is a reply to message #17794] Fri, 06 May 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
By that you mean,a damped resonant system rather than the magic,perfect phase response beast that some like to say horns are?

One of those articles,they get a resonant response-Ive seen this in hornresp program when I mismodel drivers on the wrong horn.

Journal = AES ?

too much traffic [message #17798 is a reply to message #17792] Fri, 06 May 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Several people mustve downloaded both files in an hr...If your into the theory their well worth it. I was emailed one,and the other I dont know I just found it on my pc...

If you cant find a time that its working I could email it to you.

Cheers
Mike.e

Re: Two horn theory papers [message #17799 is a reply to message #17797] Sat, 07 May 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I'm saying that a horn does not reach its actual function as a impedance matching device until it is many wavelengths long and has a mouth that is more than a wavelength across. below that it starts to look more and more like a simple port - a tube with no wall flare. So a short horn on the front of a woofer is basically a front ported enclosure.

Sorry, yes to me Journal means AES journal as its probably the only one I ever read.

Re: Two horn theory papers [message #17800 is a reply to message #17799] Sat, 07 May 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robert p is currently offline  robert p
Esquire
would it be possible for you to put a copy of your jaes paper on your website or somewhere?

Re: Two horn theory papers [message #17801 is a reply to message #17800] Sat, 07 May 2005 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Since the AES owns the copyright, this is illegal. Simply go to AE.org and order the papers. They cost $2.00 each, even I am unwilling to send them out at that price.

Re: Two horn theory papers [message #17802 is a reply to message #17801] Sat, 07 May 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
robert p is currently offline  robert p
Esquire
wasn't aware of that. thank you.

Previous Topic: Bypassing speakers transformer
Next Topic: Why do they cost so much??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 20:11:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio