Home » Audio » Speaker » Are jbl 2440's easy to open and clean
Are jbl 2440's easy to open and clean [message #17760] Mon, 25 April 2005 08:29 Go to next message
adavis464 is currently offline  adavis464
Viscount
I've never opened a compression driver is there any thing to watch for or not do?is it just a matter for removing the screws and taking the back off.If there is information on this I am unable to find it.Any help would be wonderful. regards Tim

No sweat [message #17761 is a reply to message #17760] Mon, 25 April 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Just be careful with your screwdriver because the magnet is strong.

Re: Are jbl 2440's easy to open and clean [message #17766 is a reply to message #17760] Tue, 26 April 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
To add to what Wayne says, be carefull re-inserting the diaghram back into the magnet assembly, the voice coil formers and coils are usually more fragile than what they are on a normal speaker. Also make sure your voice coil gap is clean from debris otherwise your going to get buzzes, rattles, scrapeing coils etc.. If I remember right the JBL's I think have alignment pins make sure those line up.
HTH
Bill W.

Re: Are jbl 2440's easy to open and clean [message #17769 is a reply to message #17766] Tue, 26 April 2005 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
On altecs, and I suppose JBL also, the voice coil gap can be cleaned by folding a piece of masking tape ( so that it is sticky on both sides) and lowering this into the gap. It will pick up any particles and trash that have found their way in the gap.

Regards. Russellc

Re: Are jbl 2440's easy to open and clean [message #17788 is a reply to message #17769] Tue, 03 May 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Unless its ferous metal - in which case you are screwed! There is no way to emove a metalic chip once its in the gap. So its critical to make sure that nothing magnetic ever even comes close to a magnetized speaker.

Re: Are jbl 2440's easy to open and clean [message #17789 is a reply to message #17788] Tue, 03 May 2005 18:01 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If ferrous metal got in the gap, it must be very small particles, which do not have enough mass to be that stuck, and the stickiness ofthe tape should allow an albeit slow and tedious removal process. That said, I have removed junk out of the gap but don't know that any was ferrous, but it would be worth a try before getting "professional help." These magnets are extremely powerful and will snatch up any thing close by. A clean work space is essential. Fortunately, with all the compression drivers I've fooled with over 25 years, I have never had that problem,and glad of it!

Russellc

Previous Topic: Line array design software?
Next Topic: Ping Akhilesh
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 09:24:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout