Home » Audio » Speaker » Anyone familiar with Smith Horns?
Re: I know what I've read.... [message #17737 is a reply to message #17736] Sat, 16 April 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, I've started thinking that what most people call imaging is actually caused by polar anomalies. One thing that makes me think this is that headphones don't do it for people, yet they really localize the source of sounds. Likewise, if you listen to an orchestra or a vocalist, you hear the event live. No one ever talks about imaging.

Play a recording of the same event through speakers that are often cited as imaging well and you have made a subtle transformation. No sound reproducer is perfect, but I find one thing is in common with many of those speakers touted as being good at imaging. They tend to have certain characteristics that make them sound good in one spot but move your head around and it gets phasey.

It's an interesting effect, and I think that's what a whole lot of people are listening for when they talk about imaging. Just a hunch that I've begun to consider as I listen to speakers that produce this effect.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Anyone here use the little .75 neo PE tweeter?
Next Topic: free download bass horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 11 08:19:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout