Home » Audio » Speaker » New Woofers: now what?(long)
New Woofers: now what?(long) [message #17726] Sun, 10 April 2005 18:07 Go to previous message
Floyd Andrews is currently offline  Floyd Andrews
Baron
I just got a pair of 414-8c woofers from Great Plain Audio. These things are absolutely beautiful! For now they are going into a pair of approximately 1.5 ft.^3 P.A. cabinets that I have. They will be used with a pair of Altec 902's mounted on 650 hz Edgarhorn "salad bowls". At some point I will want to build a pair of optimized cabinets for them. So here's my question. What alignment? Vented, T-line, sealed, other? These woofers look so good that I'm tempted to try an open baffle so I can see them, but this doesn't really suit my room. I've been playing with Pi-align and WinISD to test my options for vented boxes. I've used Pi-align in the past and been very satisfied with the results. These programs give me optimum box sizes in the 1-2 cubic foot range. But the "mini-Onken" plans from Sound Practices have a box of approximately 6 cubic feet net. And a writer on another bulletin board suggested a box of 4 ft.^3. Modeling boxes that big in WinISD gives a big hump in response. I suppose I could flatten out the response with some series resistance, but this seems to negate the advantage of high efficiency woofers, no? I have a subwoofer/crossover/amp (o.k., I have several subwoofers in the garage, but who's counting) so getting the most low end extension is not necessary. What would you do?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: FOSTEX FE166e
Next Topic: 8" Fostex Ideal Axis listening position
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 04:46:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio