Home » Audio » Speaker » measurements II
Re: measurements II [message #17547 is a reply to message #17534] Tue, 08 February 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Damir; if you make music; you are a muscician. You don't have to be the best muscician.

The truth doesnt matter to most [message #17559 is a reply to message #17545] Mon, 14 February 2005 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Aslong as it gives them that emotion...

I wouldnt mind delving into this 'happy' area of audio,Im not going to forget where I am objectively because I study electronics and networking,Im always reminded by the facts

Cheers
Mike.e

Re: The truth doesnt matter to most [message #17564 is a reply to message #17559] Mon, 14 February 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The truth is that if alcohol or pretty girls are involved, we'll agree to just about anything.

Re: The truth doesnt matter to most [message #17568 is a reply to message #17564] Thu, 17 February 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

haha so true! During january while not studying,vodka + large groups of people -fun times at local club with WSX hornsubs in a tiny space.. Reggae,dancehall,drum n bass[synthesised type with crazy LF],and bouncy breakbeats

That's an igloo with an attitude! [message #17569 is a reply to message #17568] Thu, 17 February 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: measurements II [message #17591 is a reply to message #17533] Sun, 27 February 2005 11:21 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
My 2 cents here:

My brother is a profesional musician and I once worked as a profession sound mixer. I now design loudspeakers and am technically trained. So I have a lot of experience with the two sides of this problem.

The musician creates art while the audio engineer reproduces art. The two things are completely different. The first is completely subjective and in the extreme the second is completly non-subjective.

That is not to say that subjective impression does not enter into audio design because it does, but in a completely different way than to a musical artist. In audio design the understanding of subjective impression helps us to know which tradeoffs are worth making and which aren't. But if there were no tradeoffs then subjectivity in audio design would be unnecessary.

In my experience, the reason that a subjective discussion about audio gets so confused, is because the discussion wanders back and forth between the musical side and the reproduction side. We talk about loudspeakers sounding good just like we talk about a concert sounding good, but they are not the same thing. The loudspeaker only sounds good if the performance sounded good - otherwise it sould sound bad, right? You see how confusing it gets almost immediately.

The only way to have a reasonable subjective discussion about audio is to use well defined terminology that is unambiguos, which is to say completely independent of the musical terminology. To intermix the terminologies invites an immediate argument due to the ambiguous nature of the terminology.

Thats exactly why musicians can discuss these things with complete understanding, because they are using a terminology that is defined in their domain and hence is totally unambiguous.

Hope this helps.

Previous Topic: Line Arrays in Rooms w/ Sloped Ceilings
Next Topic: Speaker Search
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 31 20:19:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers