Home » Audio » Speaker » Stacked "Mini Planers"
Stacked "Mini Planers" [message #17550] Sat, 12 February 2005 21:51 Go to previous message
Ro_Blower is currently offline  Ro_Blower
Chancellor
Hey All,
I started this post over on the Decware forum:
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=diy&action=display&num=1108179856

I have been listening to the Mini's exclusively for several week now and they have become very addictive. I had to temporarily move the Imperials out of the rotation due to some construction going on in the music room ( relocated a stairway and "planted" 6 full size ,80 year old pine trees).The Imperials are now in the kitchen and I plan on moving them down stairs to the (someday) Theatre room, after Jerry gets to hear them.
The T.A.O. speakers got moved upstairs to the second floor TV area.
This has left me with the smallest and least expensive set of speakers as my only ones in the music room.
It has taken this long to get used to not having sub 50hz bass playing, and I miss my bass horns!
I have come up with several sub designs( Z-baffel ob sub) that I plan on using with the Mini's and am just waiting on parts now for that project.
On the drawing board now is a stacked version of the Mini's that I wanted to share with you here. I took two of the baffel boards that I use for the current version of the Mini Planers
(approx. 24" x34") and arranged them on a stand that places one atop the other in an adjustible frame work of sorts.
This frame alows me to tilt the lower baffel back 10 deg. and tilt the upper downward 10 deg. Between the two baffels is a cross brace 1x4 that I mount the supertweeter.
This gives me a MTM type driver arrangment all on an adjustible OB.
Approx. dimensions will be 34 X 60 X 8.
I will use the same drivers as the Mini Planers but will run the two 15" 8 ohms wired in parallel, full range .(now a Zen friendly 4 ohms).
We should pick up an additional 3db sen. and with an effective baffle size increase to 34x60, I hope to get the roll off on the low end down from the 55hz on the original Mini's to hopefuly high to mid 40's.
My inspriration of course was the stacked Quads of yesteryear. Both in looks and performance.
This will be called the Midi Planer...
Darrel

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Short Line Array
Next Topic: My latest document on horns ......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 07:22:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio