Home » Audio » Speaker » Do more sensitive drivers offer less distortion at "normal" listening levels?
Re: Another perspective [message #17275 is a reply to message #17272] Sat, 25 December 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Earl,

There's one way to get 90o directivity from a single LF source, and that's to put it into a corner. Other than that, a free-standing basshorn can't because it isn't large enough. Room corners can provide 90o directivity because the walls are large enough to direct the wavefront.

About distortion, I can always hear the difference between a driver with an effective shorting ring and I think you're right about the reason why. Even-order harmonics are suppressed well up into the midrange. Flux control rings aren't usually made big enough to do a particularly good job at very low bass frequencies, but they work great from midbass through the midrange. The power range I'm talking about is from about 1% to maybe 25% or so, maybe as high as 50%. For a 600 watt driver, between 10 watts and 100 watts, the difference between one with an effective shorting ring and another similar unit without a ring is clearly audible.

Merry Christmas!

Wayne

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Last question, I promise! (I'm lying)
Next Topic: Geddes Waveguide
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 08:23:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout