Home » Audio » Speaker » Bandpass subs
Re: Bandpass subs [message #17271 is a reply to message #17270] Fri, 24 December 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
I don't really think that placement is that important. The more woofers there are clearly the less important each one becomes. Obviously Don'T put them all in one corner, or the corners. Space them arround, but other than that location is not critical.

Re: Bandpass subs [message #17274 is a reply to message #17271] Sat, 25 December 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Two things that are nice about corner placement are that room modes are energized equally and also that you gain directionality efficiency from π/2 placement. The corners become very large conical horns, similar to rectangular horns with 70o flare. I like your idea of using several woofers placed strategically, but then you would have to make sure placement between two units wasn't between about 2' and maybe 7' or so, where there would be half-wave cancellation between radiators in the under-100Hz range. Still, the idea of staggered placement to put woofers in places where nulls form is a good way to combat room effects if done properly. But if a stereo pair is used, I really like the use of corner placement for bass, particular if combined with 90o horns for HF as well. Directionality is matched, reflections are reduced and the reverberent field is charged very uniformly.

Re: Resonance [message #17277 is a reply to message #17178] Wed, 29 December 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Mike,

I linked this from another post and just noticed something. In your original list, horns are listed with sealed cabinets. But in reality, a horn generally rolls off much faster than 12dB/octave.

Wayne

Re: Resonance [message #17278 is a reply to message #17277] Wed, 29 December 2004 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi wayne
Yeah I was just considering it in the simplest sense,ie front loaded rear sealed and thought 'yeh its just 2nd order' Oops!
Interestingly the roll off changes slightly,or atleast seems to on a Log frequency scale in mcbean. Also I listed horns beside sealed because i thought they were similar in fidelity.

Cheers!

Re: Resonance [message #17279 is a reply to message #17278] Wed, 29 December 2004 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I mentioned it only because the slope was significant to the discussion about group delay.

Whatcha doing for New Years?

Re: Resonance [message #17299 is a reply to message #17279] Tue, 04 January 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
New years was quiet,just attended local celebrations down in town.

The music was celtic,the club was closed,i found a few mates as most are elsewhere. Didnt get to the massive drum n bass camp in Nelson-didnt have the $ spare. So quite mediocre,but plenty of time to think,and do some audio study.

Cheers!

Re: Resonance [message #17300 is a reply to message #17299] Tue, 04 January 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The New Years holiday in New Zealand is celebrated until the 5th, isn't it? American's have to shake off their hangovers and get back to work on the 2nd; This year, the 2nd is a Sunday so we get back to it on the 3rd. But I see that New Zealanders have holiday on the 3rd and 4th too. Cool! Is that the case every year?

Re: Resonance [message #17304 is a reply to message #17300] Thu, 06 January 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
well im not sure but lastyear when i worked,i was back at work the next day on the 1st-i got holiday pay though,time and a half or something similar. Most things are open as usual on the 2nd atleast.

Im not sure of the actual holidays.Speaking of hangovers,I wouldve had one today,fortunately i dont get them-the tequila is just wearing off from the nextdoor antics! Toy Viking hats,boomy 60hz plastic lofi system,bob marley,and shots of everything-it got messy! haha

Cheers
Mike.e

Re: Resonance [message #17305 is a reply to message #17304] Thu, 06 January 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I see. I have a calendar that shows holidays for New Zealand on January 3rd and 4th, so I was thinking I should be jealous of you.

if you look at the pros and cons [message #17308 is a reply to message #17305] Thu, 06 January 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
it ends up equal im sure - aslong as you look at enough of them

peaceful unpolluted small population...

expensive woofers, expensive travel, dangerous roads

Previous Topic: Light Show from Speaker Port
Next Topic: Technics 20PW-49S Coaxial Drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 15:22:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects