Home » Audio » Speaker » ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers
Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17211 is a reply to message #17015] Sun, 28 November 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Braggi is currently offline  Braggi
Esquire
Greetings Eric and thanks for your willingness to share. I'm looking for TS parameters for SRO series 12" and 15" drivers. Are there any sites out there that post vintage specs for EV? "The Loudspeaker Database" doesn't list SROs and the EV site doesn't seem to carry info on vintage drivers. Your help is appreciated.

-Braggi

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17215 is a reply to message #17211] Wed, 01 December 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Mainardi is currently offline  Eric Mainardi
Chancellor
Hello BRAGGI,

Sorry for my late reply due to the moving of my company.
To my knowledge, the SRO speakers were built with ALNICO magnet and with basket of SP series and were discontinued in the early 70's when E-V launched their new range with new basket and ceramic magnet like EVM, FORCE and DL series, SP12C and SP15A speakers. Beside these new models were supplied with data sheet showing the newly introduced T/S parameters.
So in a nutshell, we don't have any data sheet showing the T/S parameters of SROs and as I exposed elsewhere in the forum these 30 years old speakers should be measured to get useable T/S parameters because of ageing of the magnet, suspension, etc. Nevertheless, these outstanding speakers remain really worth to be used.
I have some short info concernig SROs somewhere. I will post them to you asap.
Best regards,
ERIC

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17235 is a reply to message #17015] Sat, 11 December 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jon Geissinger is currently offline  Jon Geissinger
Esquire
I have two 12" drivers that are supposed to be EV. They have an Al basket, the rear plate is gone, but inside the rear is a retainer plate with a screw going to the center of the magnet. The surround is cloth (redish in color), the cone is black paper and has a 3" dome.
The basket has a number printed with a number 810 3973.
Is there a way to ID this speaker to determine the power handling? I have tested it and gotten the free air and 1 cu ft closed box response curves and I want to build a TL enclosure around them.

Re: ELECTRO-VOICE (E-V) vintage speakers [message #17243 is a reply to message #17235] Mon, 13 December 2004 12:23 Go to previous message
Eric Mainardi is currently offline  Eric Mainardi
Chancellor
Hi JON,

Difficult to answer accurately but if there is a redish surround, it is likely an EV product. Beside, is there any whizzer cone ?
If yes, it is probably a SP12-B or -C.
If there is a black magnet cover with "cooling fins" around it and a silver grey basket, I would say it is a SP-12C which is an excellent speaker. I have the data sheet.
The SP12-B is a former model, with a 2-stage magnet cover of same colour of the basket.
To make sure, a digital picture would be welcome.

To be continued,
ERIC

Previous Topic: Ping: Jim Griffin - DIY Atlanta speaker
Next Topic: Looking for Great Speaker Designs (appearance only)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 04:44:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio