Home » Audio » Speaker » Let's re-visit Ing. Martinelli's Woodhorns
Let's re-visit Ing. Martinelli's Woodhorns [message #17233] Fri, 10 December 2004 18:06 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I no longer have a neighbors on either side of me. So when I awake at 3:30 or 4, on goes the stereo.

Remember last week kids when we installed the JBL 2618's on the Altec 811B horns? And thought there was a little more high end sparkle and a little less aluminum excitement?
Well, this morning the 2618's got screwed onto Bill's horns and perched on top of the cabinets. The sparkle is still there and the wood tones down the excitement of the metal but the real news is the gorgeous, absolutely lush mid-range. I'm used to Norah Jones piano sounding "hot" and the DAT based recording of Eva Cassidy "Blues Alley" moreso. None of that with this combo.

I really like these early mornings: power is clean and my ears are fresh. Muse likes to be fed early, too.
Keeping in mind that I'm still crossing the drivers at 800 Hz which is really not good for the 2618 or Bills Woodhorn, this is a wonderful sound. I'm going to get a 1.6K highpass to get the crossover right and then we'll see.

It leads me to believe that one of the BMS drivers which sounded too "hot" on the Altec horn might be just right with the Woodhorn, n'est ce pas?

I'll soon have a pair of 2123's that fell out of the sky so mids and upper treble will have woodhorns. Yeah!

Re: Let's re-visit Ing. Martinelli's Woodhorns [message #17234 is a reply to message #17233] Fri, 10 December 2004 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm such a sucker. As soon as I read the mention of Blues Alley, I had the urge to listen to it and got up and changed my CD to that. Your right about it being on the hot though.

Re: Let's re-visit Ing. Martinelli's Woodhorns [message #17253 is a reply to message #17233] Sat, 18 December 2004 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
The most gorgeous 1.6khz & up I've heard from compression drivers came from TAD 2001s on Martinelli horns with a Pi xo which pulled the level waaaaay down to where my woofer lives, but then had the luxury of letting the upper end rise (where it naturally sinks), resulting in flat, extended, glorious highs. Oil caps in the xo everywhere I could didn't hurt any, either.

The woodhorns can't be beat, IMHO.

Re: Let's re-visit Ing. Martinelli's Woodhorns [message #17312 is a reply to message #17233] Sat, 08 January 2005 13:24 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Simple answer here - if you can hear the material that the horn is made of, then its the wrong material.

Previous Topic: Fluance Speakers
Next Topic: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 21:40:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio