Home » Audio » Speaker » help me with my Christmas list
help me with my Christmas list [message #17207] Thu, 18 November 2004 15:55 Go to next message
Floyd Andrews is currently offline  Floyd Andrews
Baron
Recently, I bought a pair of Altec 908-8a 1" compression drivers from Jammin' Jersey, then installed a set of aluminum diaphragms from Great Plains Audio to convert them to 902's. Now it's time to add some horns. I'm currently using JBL 2345 horns with Selenium 205TI drivers on top of a pair of JBL K120 12" mids in sealed boxes. The JBL horns are three bolt pattern, the ALtecs are two bolt, so they won't mate without some precision drilling. If I buy some new horns instead, what should I get? I have a pair of 1" to 2" adaptors around, so a 2" throat horn might work, if it sounds good. But which one? The TAD's are out of my price range, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Martinelli horns [message #17208 is a reply to message #17207] Thu, 18 November 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What frequency range and coverage pattern do you need? Will they be for home use I assume?

If you need horns in the $100.00 range, there are tons of good plastic horns so it becomes a matter of dispersion pattern and intended use.

If you're considering TAD horns, you might check with Bill Martinelli at www.WoodHorn.com. He's a sponsor of AudioRoundTable.com. Martinelli makes fine wood horns and I like them a lot. They aren't cheap though.

Re: help me with my Christmas list [message #17209 is a reply to message #17207] Mon, 22 November 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
I think you can find adapters(sp) for mating the driver to the horn. Do not rule out used as a source for TAD td-4001 drivers. I paid $1150 for my pair of used 16 ohm 2" td-4001 compression drivers. Look at Agon, and try local pro sound dealers in your area. A pair needing diaphragms can be had for small change. Then you can buy Radian replacement diaphragms for short money and you have some killer compression drivers. I am using my tad td-4001 in 31" x 31" JBL 2360a biradial horns. There is no horn shout. This is a killer combo with my 1.8 wpc 45 mono block amps driving the horns.
Good luck! John C.

Re: help me with my Christmas list [message #17213 is a reply to message #17207] Tue, 30 November 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Floyd,

Nice driver upgrade! I have a pair and like them very much. If you are happy with the sound character of the existing horns (JBL 2345, 800 Hz radial horns) why not just drill the 2 required holes. It's really not that difficult. If experience or equipment is an issue, a local machine shop can take care of this in minutes (and yes, a few $'s).

If the drilling is out of the question, consider getting the Altec equivalent of the 2345, the 811. These are regularly available on eBay for under $200 a pair. You would need to damp the horn (there is plenty of damping lore in the archives here and elsewhere). Try to get later production with non-welded vanes, so that destressing (cutting the vanes) is not required. I am using damped and destressed 511's, and they are incredibly smooth and uncolored.

If you want to try something new (and significantly more expensive) you might try wood horns by Martinelli (biradial like your 2345's) or Edgar (round tractrix). Both have a reputation for outstanding performance. Both offer the non-metal/wood sound. The Edgar is said to image very well due to in part to its round mouth and tractrix expansion. Discussions of their sound quality are numerous in the archives here and elsewhere.

Note that differences in behavior in the cutoff region may necessitate changes to your crossovers. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out!

Enjoy the new drivers!

Bob

Re: Martinelli horns [message #17214 is a reply to message #17208] Wed, 01 December 2004 04:32 Go to previous message
till is currently offline  till
Esquire

another option would be to diy:

Previous Topic: Enclosure for Fostex 167E
Next Topic: Cool single driver speakers from Japan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 17:27:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio