Home » Audio » Speaker » Bandpass subs
I'm using one... [message #17181 is a reply to message #17153] Sun, 07 November 2004 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I've build a bandpass-sub (two actually, one for my cousin & one for myself), albeit not a HE type (sensitivity 88dB ½-space). It's using a 10" Peerless unit in a box of ~3cu.ft. It's -3dB points are 28 & 75Hz. It was originally designed for my cousins HT use, but I use mine for music, too. My cousin does occaisionally also. The design was made using the 'optium' alignment in Linearteams calculator. Given the fact that we needed a passive sub, that didn't have to have electrical EQ'ing, a bandpass sub was a nice way to get extended low frequency response, also considering the fact that the upper roll-of could come in handy.

I'm certainly not saying that these things are the last word in deep bass reproduction, but neither my cousin nor I have experienced any real problems with one-note bass or similar distortion problems. I think, as with any design, it's a matter of making the right compromises. I'm very satisfied with mine - especially since they've made it possible for me to get real extended deep end with little cost. They cost ~$150 to build.

I must say thatI think that some of the reason for the bad reputation this principle have, is that it's so widely used in cheap 'package type stereo & HT systems, where it's mainly used to at least give an impression of bass to very small satelite speakers with no sound under ~250Hz...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message