Home » Audio » Speaker » Next project - small woofer unit + Horn - WAF warning
Next project - small woofer unit + Horn - WAF warning [message #17081] Fri, 15 October 2004 13:29 Go to next message
roland is currently offline  roland
Baron
In the future living room I want great speakers - I want horns. My wife hates boxes - so I figured a solid wooden sallad bowl type of midrange/tweeter - pretty yes?? But then I run into trouble. I need an as small as possible woofer solution. I see that the Kappa 10 pro only needs about 10 litres (eminence website). Forced to comprimise I am more keen on high efficiency that great bass extension. A 40 Hz -6db point would be great, I can live with anything that gives some output below 50 Hz. Cornerhorn possible, at least 3 feet available in all corners. +96DB/1W desired.

Driver suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roland

Re: Next project - small woofer unit + Horn - WAF warning [message #17082 is a reply to message #17081] Fri, 15 October 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Roland,

An isobaric design would cut the volume of an enclosure in half. It costs two extra drivers, but is smaller.

Martin

Re: Next project - small woofer unit + Horn - WAF warning [message #17084 is a reply to message #17081] Sat, 16 October 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Roland,

I'm sure you'll be real happy with the Kappa's, as with many of the other Eminence speakers. You might also look at the JBL 22xx series and the Eminence Magnum series parts. They are great, high-quality canidates, in my opinion.

Wayne

pialign Kappa 10 pro [message #17085 is a reply to message #17084] Sat, 16 October 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roland is currently offline  roland
Baron
I just put the figures for the k-pro 10" into pialign, I get ~10 litres/0.368 cu feet and the dimensions 17.2x8.6x4.3". If making a corner horn out of this, it would become 3 times deeper, with the last third forming a right angle. That's a pretty compact corner horn. With a wooden horn on top, I think we have something I could sell into the living room:)

Granted I did my homework properly AND the kappa pro 10's provide some bass extension:) this could be good.

Thanks,

Roland

Re: pialign Kappa 10 pro [message #17086 is a reply to message #17085] Sat, 16 October 2004 14:28 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Roland,

Most of the Eminence 10's are tuned like this. They're really midrange/midbass drivers and great for horns or direct radiating mids. They have small Vas and low Qes so the boxes are tiny and bass response isn't very deep. Pialign recommends a 0.368ft3 chamber tuned to 86Hz, and BoxPlot reccomends half this size at about the same tuning, 0.19ft3 at 91Hz. The PiAlign'ed solution has f3 of about 95Hz and the BoxPlot tuning has f3 of about 120Hz. With a subwoofer, that's fine. But if used alone in a π cornerhorn configuration, I'd probably go with 1.0ft3 tuned to 35Hz. The use in corners will help the response a lot. Another alternative is the Alpha 10, which will allow you to tune the system for much deeper bass, albeit in slightly larger cabinets. The Delta 12LF is another possible canidate for you, provided you aren't opposed to using a little bit larger speaker.

Wayne

Previous Topic: Newest acquisition 2 - 8" full range from Roland
Next Topic: Only one week to the Iowa 2004 DIY Speaker Event!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 20:40:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio