Home » Audio » Speaker » folded horn midrange
folded horn midrange [message #17033] Tue, 05 October 2004 05:58 Go to next message
wansun is currently offline  wansun
Esquire
do you think midrange should come from folded horn?
what highest crosover freq? 600? 400? 200?
some horn use 400-500 but wood sound in voices.
what can be done? maybe all horn must be strait, no fold?

Re: folded horn midrange [message #17034 is a reply to message #17033] Tue, 05 October 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Folded horns are quite capable of delivering midrange to well over 3kHz if the geometry is properly configured.

Re: folded horn midrange [message #17040 is a reply to message #17033] Tue, 05 October 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
Depends on what frequency range you call midrange. I am currently working on cone driver horn to run 500Hz to 3.5kHz with wide horizontal dispersion. Its mating lo-mid horn will be bent (ie not abruptly folded) and run from 150Hz to 500Hz. Unless you want to cover wide band and down fairly low, path length is quite often too short to allow folding due to the large radius bends required to path the higher frequencies. A wide band folded horn will also beam quite significantly at high frequencies.

"Wood sound in voices" would suggest to me improper horn and/or crossover / component selection.

Cheers

Re: folded horn midrange [message #17043 is a reply to message #17033] Tue, 05 October 2004 09:56 Go to previous message
Cal W is currently offline  Cal W
Esquire
I prefer to keep the crossover out of this band. I think it is ok for pa speakers but better for fidelity's sake to avoid. A good example is the classic Klipsch speakers esp. La Scalas and some Klipschorns. The upper bass gets resonant in those and it colors the midrange.

Previous Topic: How low will this horn go
Next Topic: Basshorn driver specs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 24 07:40:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout