Home » Audio » Speaker » slot tweeters, horns, crossovers
slot tweeters, horns, crossovers [message #16915] Sun, 29 August 2004 02:46 Go to next message
bottleneck is currently offline  bottleneck
Esquire
Hi!

Im soon to be getting a pair of speakers made for me by a horn enthusiast and a cabinet maker.

Basically, it will be a 15 unit horn with a vitavox compression driver, mated to a non ported bass cabinet with a 15" driver.

It will be driven by a single ended valve amp.

Ive done a little digging, because I want to get more knowledgable about what Im asking to be built before I tell the guy to go ahead and make it for me.

A lot of the speakers Ive found (like on the vitavox website) use a further treble horn, and also a slot tweeter for high frequencies.

Its the necessity for these extra units that I want to find out more about, because after all when the speaker has been made, its made - and changes at that point will be a lot more difficult and messy.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Hope you can help!
Thanks
Chris

Re: slot tweeters, horns, crossovers [message #16916 is a reply to message #16915] Sun, 29 August 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draco is currently offline  Draco
Chancellor
Can the 15 and vitavox be used together without strain of either one?
Can the vitavox reach high enough? This is what must be known.
Many good speakers are made this way but you must decide.

Re: slot tweeters, horns, crossovers [message #16917 is a reply to message #16916] Sun, 29 August 2004 09:55 Go to previous message
bottleneck is currently offline  bottleneck
Esquire
That is the problem I guess.

I dont know where these units will cross over well, and if other drive units are needed to cover the full range.

People who have similar systems often seem to have another horn for high mids and a tweeter aswell.

I guess Im just trying to find out if this is really needed.

The systems here are pretty much what Im talking about
http://website.lineone.net/~empson/Owners.html

chris

Previous Topic: Altec parts available
Next Topic: open baffle project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 10:19:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio