Home » Audio » Speaker » Pictures from yesterday's high efficiency spkr listening event
Pictures from yesterday's high efficiency spkr listening event [message #16820] Sun, 15 August 2004 03:43 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Pictures of some neat speakers and electronics at http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/174313

Re: Pictures from yesterday's high efficiency spkr listening event [message #16821 is a reply to message #16820] Sun, 15 August 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Fred, Nice pictures of a nice event. Was the Eros combo really the best sound? We need more thorough analysis of the event. Hopefully that is coming. Thanks, J.R.

Are the Hammer Dynamics drivers still available? [message #16823 is a reply to message #16820] Sun, 15 August 2004 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: Are the Hammer Dynamics drivers still available? [message #16824 is a reply to message #16823] Sun, 15 August 2004 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As far as I know they are. Paul bought his from someone who had bought them some time ago and had never got around to building the enclosures. You could check out their availability from the manufacturer at http://www.hammerdynamics.com/

Re: Pictures from yesterday's high efficiency spkr listening event [message #16825 is a reply to message #16821] Sun, 15 August 2004 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I believe the general consensus was that the Eros MK2 was the best speaker by far. One participant who has built a Northcreek Rhythm/Revelatior (a similar design with higher quality drivers) stated unequivocally that the Eros sounded better than the Norhtcreek design. Another participant who has heard both concurred. The Eros is better than any of the other we listened to in bass power and extension, and midrange and treble clarity. This should come as not surprise. Wayne J is a very competent crossover designer and the MK2 version is a product of several interim tweaks and redesigns to achieve the best possible sound from a speaker in this price range. Also, the drivers are not handicapped by any attempt to play full range or to be highly efficient as with some of the other speakers we heard.

The actual event was more of a social gathering than a serious evaluation exercise, so I'm not sure what else I can say about it. These things are fun and noisy, but not a good place for critical listening.

Re: Pictures from yesterday's high efficiency spkr listening event [message #16829 is a reply to message #16825] Sun, 15 August 2004 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for the reply, there are so many independant designs now you need a scorecard to keep track;J.R.

Re: Pictures from yesterday's high efficiency spkr listening event [message #16830 is a reply to message #16825] Sun, 15 August 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Not knowing what the price range of the Eros Mark whosits are
but I'm seriously planning a Voigt pipe project with some 8"
Pioneer fullrange.

So where did the Voigt Pipes land in the grand scheme of
the event?

:o)

Re: Pictures from yesterday's high efficiency spkr listening event [message #16831 is a reply to message #16820] Sun, 15 August 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for posting these photos, Frank! There was some really gorgeous equipment there. Looks like a great time had by all. Again, thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Wayne

Re: Are the Hammer Dynamics drivers still available? [message #16833 is a reply to message #16823] Mon, 16 August 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
The designer, Mike Hammer, passed away some years ago, but as far as I know his wife is still running the business. So they should be available - they also have a website, try Google or other search engine.

Thanks [message #16837 is a reply to message #16823] Mon, 16 August 2004 21:38 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The reason I asked is that the website really gives no indication about where or how to obtain the drivers. It looks rather "abandoned".

I was wondering if there was a distributor or another arrangement.

Previous Topic: M
Next Topic: Fostex FE166, 167 or 168?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 28 21:20:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout